MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Virtual Desktops for Vista
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just switched from linux back to Vista (new computer and changing OS voids warrenty) and i really really really miss the the vitual desktops (AKA multiple desktops or work spaces) so can anyone reconmend an equivilent that will work with vista? Google did provide me with a few but none mentioned Vista and alot of places said they are buggy Sad

Edit: I just tried this one http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin...17881.aspx and it works OK but only supports vista basic style on the other desktops and dosnt support sidebar nor dragging between them.
(2009-01-01, 12:52 AM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]but only supports vista basic style
I'd call that a plus point, I turn have Vista set to the basic style since I don't see the point in DWM using over 100MB of RAM when it can quite happily use just over 1MB. Then again, I see a computer as a tool for working on, not something to look pretty.
Yeah, im just waiting for the novelty to wear off before i switch it off Toungue i usually turn it off anyway before i start anything ram intensive. The big thing is that it doesn't support the side bar Sad I am really quite surprised that Windows still doesn't come with virtual desktops standard, both mac and most linux distributions have them?
http://windows.kde.org/

How about that?
That's right! I completely forgot you can use different window managers on windows too.
So will it look like KDE but run all my Windows applications the same?
In theory but they put this in bold.

Quote:KDE on Windows is not in the final state, so many applications can be unsuitable for day to day use yet.
Shell replacements FTW.
I use Directory Opus for browsing folders - don't need explorer at all. Still need to find a shell which suits my needs though (haven't tried KDE on Windows yet, might give it a shot).
Why note use VMPlayer and run Linux over Windows? Just keep it full screen and you won't even know Windows is running in the background. Wink