MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Copying Database Information
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My site was dead for a while and I've come back to remaking it. I wanted to upgrade my forum from MyBB 1.2.2 to the latest and I've had a huge amount of errors.

Eventually, I just created everything all over and the forum has gone blank. However, I luckily had the prefix of the old tables different than the new ones ('forum_' and 'mybb_'). The old information is safely stored in all the 'forum_' tables while the new tables are written in 'mybb_'. How exactly do I go about transferring the data from the old tables to the new ones?

I am using phpMyAdmin hosted on Freehostia.com.
Why not access the file ./inc/config.php and find this:

$config['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';

Then change to this...

$config['table_prefix'] = 'forum_';
(2009-01-04, 09:59 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]Why not access the file ./inc/config.php and find this:

$config['table_prefix'] = 'mybb_';

Then change to this...

$config['table_prefix'] = 'forum_';

That would probably cause an error as many of the tables are different in 1.4 than in 1.2.. I'm not exactly sure how to go about this though, as I haven't tried it. I've had to transfer all the data manually(by inserting it by hand[it was a small forum]), which was not fun:p
^^^

OK, I understand better now.
How about this:

1) Make a clean install of MyBB 1.4 on any (temporary) sub-folder, using 'forum_' for the new tables.

2) Now follow the "normal" instructions for upgrading from 1.2.x to 1.4.x

Note: If the old forum being down is an issue, then it could quickly be placed (temporarily) in a fresh install of 1.2.x.

Summary:
The "fresh installs" only take a few minutes.
Would this plan work?
Is this urgent? If not, I'll try a couple theorys and get back to you on the ones that work.
(2009-01-04, 10:15 AM)seeker Wrote: [ -> ]^^^

OK, I understand better now.
How about this:

1) Make a clean install of MyBB 1.4 on any (temporary) sub-folder, using 'forum_' for the new tables.

2) Now follow the "normal" instructions for upgrading from 1.2.x to 1.4.x

Note: If the old forum being down is an issue, then it could quickly be placed (temporarily) in a fresh install of 1.2.x.

Summary:
The "fresh installs" only take a few minutes.
Would this plan work?
I assume it would, just as long as your session doesn't expire for the current administration session(I've noticed many users run into problems if it does while upgrading from 1.2.x to 1.4.x)
Woah woah, this could be a simple thing to fix. Did you make a backup of the 1.2.2 database?? You should have done really, and if you did, just upload the 1.2.2 files again, upload the database, and upgrade again. Simple.
Oh right! I never thought of that. But it is kinda convoluted. Toungue
I will reinstall MyBB 1.2.2 again and get back to you guys later. Thanks for the help!
Well, that's the least convoluted way o.O It could be done in 5 minutes.

Also we never know what 'errors' you had when upgrading the first time, what where they??
Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: databaseengine in /home/www/azuregames.freehostia.com/forums/install/index.php on line 343

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/www/azuregames.freehostia.com/forums/inc/class_datacache.php on line 122

These are errors from installing MyBB 1.2.2 as of now.

The first time, I had errors finding some file called .inc/db_.php and the Upgrade process would not start.
You don't need to install it again, just upload 1.2.2 files, upload the backup to the database, and edit ./inc/config.php to link to the database. Then try and upgrade again.
Pages: 1 2 3