MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Giving a member some powers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to give a member or a group of members some powers, without making the whole group into moderators?

For example, could a specific user group be given the power to edit or delete posts other than their own, without the group being made moderators?
Yes, if its a new usergroup down at the bottom theres an option for Copy Permissions from:

choose moderator. Or if its not a new group, just mess with the group permissions.
Thanks for your answer, but I can only see permissions for editing/deleting a user's own posts. I can't see any permission that refers to editing the posts of others.
Erm... try ACP > Forums & Posts > **chosoe forum** > Options > Moderators > type their name > you should get some options of what permissions they will have.
Ah yes, I have that, thanks.

But I was trying to give some members some small degree of power, without making them moderators.

If I make them moderators your solution is fine, but I was trying to give a limited amount of power to a group of members, and not make them all moderators.
Well that's how you do it, doing it like they won't be in the moderators usergroup, they're not actual moderators, they'll just have some powers.
Oh I see, that's good. That should work fine, thanks.

Just one query on this - as by following your solution they would still get the drop down moderation boxes, even though they don't have power to use them, is there any way of not giving them that?

It's just that boxes they can't use may confuse.
Er... I must admit I've never looked into that, in theory they should only see options for what you have allowed them to do... if you want I'll see how it works and get back to you.
I just tried it and it gives all the options as usual for a moderator.

If you attempt to use a power that hasn't been given, such as move a thread for example, you get the "haven't got permission to do this" page.

It would be perfect if it worked the way that you said in theory, i.e. they should only see options for what you have allowed them to do.
I'm thinking that there's an answer to this by editing templates?

But then admins couldn't see the moderation options either....
Just as an update, I thought I'd solved the problem by moving the moderator out of the moderators group. When you add a moderator to a forum , that user automatically gets put in the moderators group. However, it seems you can take that user out of the moderators group and return him to an ordinary users group, and he still carries on being a moderator of the forum you appointed him to.

However, all that taking the moderator out of the moderators group seems to do is stop him seeing the reported posts message (which I want him to see). It doesn't stop him getting the drop down moderation options and inline thread moderation.
As I said at the top, it would be perfect if they could only see options for what you have allowed them to do.