MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: why is this software free?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I am looking at forum softwares. I was impressed with vbulletin. But,I found reference to MYBB in their community forum and came here with curiosity. I beleive this MYBB is free. ( Is it really free?)
Can anyone help me to know the following:
1.Can I use MYBB easily since my knowledge on the net is very very basic. I have very scant knowledge of softwares but I am very eager to learn since I want to host a discussion forum for which i found a niche.
2.Will I be able to place ads after a while?
3.If MYBB is free, why is VB so popular?
Thanks for reading this long mail of a dumb newbie Angel
Yes, MyBB is really free. Download it and you'll find out. Toungue

1. Yes you can use MyBB, follow the wiki: [Wiki: Installing] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
2. You'll be able to place ads all over your site if you want, MyBB doesn't restrict you as it's your site.
3. VB is popular because it's a paid software and has some different features, some website owners like to get paid support as the support will be sometimes faster.
Yes, it's free, hence you can directly download it from the site Toungue

1. MyBB is very easy to get the hang of, you need very little knowledge of anything technical to set it up.
2. You can place ads whenever you want to.
3. My personal opinion on that is because people think 'Well, if you have to pay for it, it must be the best', but that isn't the case. Just because you have to pay hundreds of dollars to get vB, doesn't mean you'll be missing out if you choose MyBB.
Quote:VB is popular because it's a paid software and has some different features, some website owners like to get paid support as the support will be sometimes faster.

Tend to agree with this comment the most. Feature updates was a long time coming last round. I wont go into giving kudos to VB or IPB. But their integration of much needed social features for everyday use to bring communties closer and allow them to communicate better imo is refreshing and the way of the future.

Quote:My personal opinion on that is because people think 'Well, if you have to pay for it, it must be the best', but that isn't the case. Just because you have to pay hundreds of dollars to get vB, doesn't mean you'll be missing out if you choose MyBB.

I believe this is true in some cases for sure, I believe however features and support are what people see the most in paid software imo.
Coming from me, this software is one of the easiest I've ever used. I really enjoy MyBB and know you'll get the hang of it within a few weeks. If you need any help I know the guys above would love to help you out. But If they aren't available, I'll try to help as I can, just PM me Big Grin
I want to note that my vBulletin powered forum gets so much spam bots that its retarded. If I install a few anti-spam modifications, the spam stops. Now I paid over $100 for that software.

I didn't pay anything for MyBB and didn't have to download any modifications to prevent massive amounts of spam bots...

Not looking good for vBulletin in my humble opinion...
The only reason MyBB doesn't get much spam bots is because it isn't well known. You can't prevent them without some anti-spam modifications.
Best Regards.
I submit my mybb forums to the same directories and search engines as my vbulletin forum, thats how the spiders find it, so your theory couldn't be true.
I think his point is that vB has been around for longer so people have had longer to find out how to get past any spam prevention that is already in place.
Okay. But I still think vB is crap LOL
Pages: 1 2 3