MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Constant Login Issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sure I can't be the first person to ask this but why are there so many login issues?

I mean, it should be the easiest thing in the world to be able to successfully login to your own forum as an admin, however, over and over and over and over again, logging in is just a major, major issue, why is this happening please?

It's not just myself that is getting this, but new users arriving to my forum too and I'm at my wits end trying to sort the problem out, offering advice to new members on how to get in. Understandably they get rather fed up themselves eventually and go off in search of greener pastures rendering my search engine optimization efforts and time and energy expended, a rather fruitless exercise.

It doesn't matter how many times I reset my password, every time I try to get in as admin of my own forum, the software denies me this access, which is just daft.

Now, I can't even access my admin cPanel, I'm seriously at my wits end trying to sort this out.

Please, is there a remedy for this or not as I /we do not want to keep on running into this same problem, over and over again - it's enormously frustrating and exasperating!

This issue aside, the rest of the forum experience to date has been excellent and I can't fault anything else at all, except for this perpetual login issue that we are all having at TheMoneyForum.com

Is there a solution or do we go elsewhere to start over with other software where we are not going to keep on running into this rather silly issue?

Kindest regards and best wishes.

Mark - http://TheMoneyForum.org
Can you try and read the threads stuck to the top of the forum in future, you could have sorted the problem in less time than it took you to type all that out.

Your cookie settings are correct but make sure ./inc/settings.php is CHMOD to 666.
(2009-01-11, 01:01 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Can you try and read the threads stuck to the top of the forum in future, you could have sorted the problem in less time than it took you to type all that out.

Your cookie settings are correct but make sure ./inc/settings.php is CHMOD to 666.

When you don't know what the problem is, you have very little faith that to sort out the problem, one must go in search of the answer / solution to it yourself, of course, it is rather much more easier to post a new thread and to expect as a customer of the business, a respectful answer along the lines of, 'We are most terribly sorry that you have been experiencing this problem using our software, my name is (insert name) and I am happy to try to help you out today with this'. Etc ...

It took me precisely 28 seconds to type out the thread, hence asking via a new thread seemed like the obvious way to ask for assistance. Tell me, is this as good as the customer support is here or, well, should I just take the forum elsewhere where at least I can expect a modicum of respect for the thread and issue posted, rather than you basically calling me 'stupid' for asking?

Wouldn't it just be better if there wasn't such a basic issue and/or problem in the works from the get go?

Obviously one cannot it seems, sadly so, to receive very much reasonable support around these waters.

I'm terribly sorry I so troubled you to elicit that kind of a response.

42 seconds to type out.

Mark
I said that as we a lot of threads about this issue, and it's often quicker for you personally if you take a look for an answer first as you won't have to wait for someone to tell you what has already been said Smile Due to the number of threads about this issue, I made a thread and stuck it to the top of the forum, to let people know exactly what to check to fix it.

Did you check to see if ./inc/settings.php is CHMOD to 666??
I'll have my developer look at it later. I can't waste too much time dealing with this issue today, I have too much other work to be getting on with.

Thanks for the reply, I will say though a bit abrupt, that was fast.

Enjoy the day.

Best regards.

Mark

(2009-01-11, 01:14 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]I said that as we a lot of threads about this issue, and it's often quicker for you personally if you take a look for an answer first as you won't have to wait for someone to tell you what has already been said Smile Due to the number of threads about this issue, I made a thread and stuck it to the top of the forum, to let people know exactly what to check to fix it.

Did you check to see if ./inc/settings.php is CHMOD to 666??

[b]
I do apologise that I was abrupt, but there are a lot of threads on this each day and over time, pointing people to the same sticky threads gets a bit old.

Anyway, if you tell them to open up your file manager, navigate to the 'inc' folder, and find settings.php, it'll be right down at the bottom. There will be an option to change CHMOD settings/permissions, something like that - make sure it's set to 666, just means it can be written to. If it is set to 666, and still doesn't work, then open the file, and double check that the entry for the cookie domain is .themoneyforum.org and the cookie path is / If the settings aren't like that in the file, set them to that and then (as now you'd be able to login) go to ACP > Configuration > General Configuration > and set it again. Also clear your cookies after each step and try and login, to check.
Many thanks Matt.

My apologies too, I'm a bit of a straight talker, like to call a spade a spade, a shovel, a shovel.

Wouldn't it though, if this issue is getting a bit old in the tooth, just be easier to come up with one fix your end, so that 'many' other users do not keep on running into this?

Surely that is logical, unless you really want to keep on answering this for more weeks and months to come?

That would seem to be the absolutely obvious thing to do, as nowhere else have I ever had such a problem repeat itself so often - logging in should be the easiest thing to do in the world afterall!

Tally ho!

(2009-01-11, 01:29 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]I do apologise that I was abrupt, but there are a lot of threads on this each day and over time, pointing people to the same sticky threads gets a bit old.

Anyway, if you tell them to open up your file manager, navigate to the 'inc' folder, and find settings.php, it'll be right down at the bottom. There will be an option to change CHMOD settings/permissions, something like that - make sure it's set to 666, just means it can be written to. If it is set to 666, and still doesn't work, then open the file, and double check that the entry for the cookie domain is .themoneyforum.org and the cookie path is / If the settings aren't like that in the file, set them to that and then (as now you'd be able to login) go to ACP > Configuration > General Configuration > and set it again. Also clear your cookies after each step and try and login, to check.

Ok, so my developer is writing me in gmail as I speak, she has followed the guidelines regarding this issue to the letter and I am still experiencing this problem, as are other members.

???

(2009-01-11, 01:34 PM)TheMoneyForum Wrote: [ -> ]Many thanks Matt.

My apologies too, I'm a bit of a straight talker, like to call a spade a spade, a shovel, a shovel.

Wouldn't it though, if this issue is getting a bit old in the tooth, just be easier to come up with one fix your end, so that 'many' other users do not keep on running into this?

Surely that is logical, unless you really want to keep on answering this for more weeks and months to come?

That would seem to be the absolutely obvious thing to do, as nowhere else have I ever had such a problem repeat itself so often - logging in should be the easiest thing to do in the world afterall!

Tally ho!

(2009-01-11, 01:29 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]I do apologise that I was abrupt, but there are a lot of threads on this each day and over time, pointing people to the same sticky threads gets a bit old.

Unfortunately there isn't really much that we can do, it's a problem with an individual person's installation. Cookie settings are directly linked to the URL, so we can tell people what their settings should be once they give us a URL, but can't really do much to automatically set them, we can't do anything to change the settings from our end. There is this plugin though, so maybe we should start linking to that as well. It's the same if ./inc/settings.php isn't CHMOD to 666, nothing we can do about that at all, it's something the user will have to set in their host's control panel.

Generally, if people don't change these settings, they'll be ok. Obviously sometimes the user doesn't change a thing and they have the problem, but usually, something has been misconfigured and it just needs to be amended.

Edit: Ok, PM me details to your file manager and I'll have a look.
It's ok, we figured it, got my developer out of bed at 5:45am in California for which no doubt I'll get an earful later.

Sorted it out now.

Cheers Matt, sorry about the initial hiccup.

Do enjoy your day.

Kindest regards.

Mark - http://www.TheMoneyForum.org

(2009-01-11, 01:41 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately there isn't really much that we can do, it's a problem with an individual person's installation. Cookie settings are directly linked to the URL, so we can tell people what their settings should be once they give us a URL, but can't really do much to automatically set them, we can't do anything to change the settings from our end. There is this plugin though, so maybe we should start linking to that as well. It's the same if ./inc/settings.php isn't CHMOD to 666, nothing we can do about that at all, it's something the user will have to set in their host's control panel.

Generally, if people don't change these settings, they'll be ok. Obviously sometimes the user doesn't change a thing and they have the problem, but usually, something has been misconfigured and it just needs to be amended.

Edit: Ok, PM me details to your file manager and I'll have a look.