MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: prototype.js and XMLHTTP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
"Enable XMLHttp request features?"

For that setting in admincp..if I disable it can I safely comment out the loading of the prototype.js in headerinclude?

For now I am disabling this on HF as my server has just had it...it's beyond it's capacity now and I am minimizing as much as I can on the site till I can get my new server online.

Thanks.
I believe we use other things in prototype.js then just XMLHttp requests.
That's what I was wondering...maybe you knew exactly what that might be. I don't see a reason to load it if this feature is disabled. As far as I can tell...nothing ajax is working once XMLHttp is disabled.
Well there are special effects in various places. We also might use some bits and parts for the post editor.

If really need be, you can simply disable it and let the js scripts error out. Normally they are hidden from the user by default anyway and the functionality simply won't appear.
AJAX typically reduces load on the server - any particular reason why you think disabling it'll help you in your case?
Because when it doesn't connect it seems to hang and be less obvious your post got through so people double post.
That sounds a little different than reducing load. For double-posting, either MyBB should automatically detect and reject the double-post, or the auto post merger should be kicking in, however...
My load is high for various reasons but to reduce the side effect of double posts I wanted to disable xmlhttp. The auto merge did work replies but it doesn't work for new threads. Also it doesn't look great when a post has 5 of the same text merged into it. Wink

I just rented a kick lime new server. So within a week it won't matter.

Thanks.