MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: URGENT: Serious Mass Mailing Error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I tried to send a mass mailing to all of my members via PM.

Suddenly, I started receiving messages of duplicates ... some people got upwards of 40 copies of the same PM. The status never budged above 37%. I canceled the mailing, but people are still receiving them! What can I do?
It looks like people stopped receiving them now. However, I'd like to prevent this from happening in the future. Any idea what could've caused this?
I believe MyBB is designed to send mass pms and mail this way. When I send something to be delivered immediatly it seems to process my que in chunks also. I believe this is to save on overloading the server, I thought I read this somewhere here before, I could be wrong however.

Oh, and I personally can't explain the other issue of getting duplicate copies, I haven't had that experience.
It appears it stalled at the queue at 37% and simply kept sending it to the same people repeatedly.
See if a user has a special username it's getting stuck at.
How can I check that? AFAIK though, there's no users with unusual characters in their names.
PM me FTP information and an admin account and I'll take a look at it. What are the usernames and emails of the people it kept getting sent to repeatedly?

(2009-01-15, 01:36 AM)hemi Wrote: [ -> ]I believe this is to save on overloading the server, I thought I read this somewhere here before, I could be wrong however.

It's a staggered process because if we send out thousands at a time instantly, your site could get falsely black-listed or throttled because your host would think your harvesting spam
(2009-01-15, 03:27 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]PM me FTP information and an admin account and I'll take a look at it. What are the usernames and emails of the people it kept getting sent to repeatedly?

(2009-01-15, 01:36 AM)hemi Wrote: [ -> ]I believe this is to save on overloading the server, I thought I read this somewhere here before, I could be wrong however.

It's a staggered process because if we send out thousands at a time instantly, your site could get falsely black-listed or throttled because your host would think your harvesting spam

I knew there was a reason I had read a while back why it was staggered, so I shot a 50 percent on that one. Toungue Actually also Ryan, it does let the processor not run so hard so a site can keep moving fast. It's a good feature for sure.

Regards
PM'd you Ryan.
Alright, we figured it out. It was a Mass PM and a user had a ',' in their username and that was causing the PM data handler to die out because we didn't do any error catching in the task itself.

Commas aren't allowed in usernames anymore in MyBB 1.4 because they interfere with the commas in the multiple recipients in PMs. I wrote in some nice error handling for the task so it doesn't die out if it hits a bad username and we'll be forcefully removing commas from usernames in MyBB 1.4.5 (We'll display a big warning message in the upgrade script though) to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I know this thread is old, but I'm having the same issue. We're on 1.4. I have several members that received 60 some messages each (not sure if everyone did since I haven't heard from everyone) and I can see that my sent folder said I had sent like 1600 messages (I only have about 100 registered forum users).

I searched for commas in usernames and didn't find any. I do have a few with periods though. Could that be it?
Pages: 1 2