MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: RSS and validating users?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to use the myBB bulletin, but as a closed forum(so no guest allowed), but the user should still be able to get RSS feeds? How can i do that? And is it possible?

Best regards,
I'd have to second this request. The RSS functionality is more than useless, as far as I can tell, for a "closed" board.
RSS works for closed boards if your browser does the RSS reading (and sends your auth cookies when requesting RSS). With third party readers like Google or whatever you can view only public RSS feeds. There is little point to keep your board closed but RSS public. If you allow anyone to read your forum by RSS, you could make it public in the first place...

The only alternative to this would be to use key URLs for RSS, but those have a tendency to leak to the public as well.
I´m interested in this Modification too Smile

because in Wordpress for example you can use a "Feed Widget" for latest posts with guest-enabled but not with guest-disabled
Myself, I don't want any "public" feeds. I just want my users to be able to somehow get their readers to log in and read the feeds.

I agree that user ID keys are a poor idea, in general. Perhaps a plugin which supports HTTP Basic Auth for RSS logins? I wonder how many feed readers support this... Hm...