MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Server requirements for this...?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I want to transfer my forum to a new host. It is currently running on a free hosting company. I don't know what are the server requirements of MyBB for the forum which has the following features.

1) 25,000 members
2) upto 500 users online simultaneously.
3) No attachments. Only Avtars.

I want to know the following.

1) Simultaneous connections to MySql database required?
2) Bandwidth required.

I have found a host with unlimited disk space, unlimited bandwidth but 10 concurrent MySql connections and 15,000 MySql queries/Hr. Let me know so that I will proceed.

thanks
Hi,

(2009-01-16, 06:47 AM)DIMSKK Wrote: [ -> ]2) upto 500 users online simultaneously.
That's going to be the main thing. What do you mean by "simultaneously"? What's important is the number of concurrent connections to the server, not the number of users in the past X minutes. The number of users online within the past 1 minute can give a reasonable guide line though.
(2009-01-16, 10:19 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

(2009-01-16, 06:47 AM)DIMSKK Wrote: [ -> ]2) upto 500 users online simultaneously.
That's going to be the main thing. What do you mean by "simultaneously"? What's important is the number of concurrent connections to the server, not the number of users in the past X minutes. The number of users online within the past 1 minute can give a reasonable guide line though.

Okay! It is 30 users in the past one minute.
I'd guess around 5-20 concurrent connections then. 10 MySQL connections would be quite limiting, if anything, it doesn't allow much room for expansion. Actually, it's a bit of a surprise that your free host allows you to stay with them considering the load.

Hope that helps.
(2009-01-16, 11:27 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]I'd guess around 5-20 concurrent connections then. 10 MySQL connections would be quite limiting, if anything, it doesn't allow much room for expansion. Actually, it's a bit of a surprise that your free host allows you to stay with them considering the load.

Hope that helps.

My free host do not have connection limit/user. It has connection limit/server. My forum is not too big. But it will become in near future. Godady is providing 50 concurrent connections. I think, i will host my forum on their servers.
Thanks for help Big Grin
(2009-01-16, 11:53 AM)DIMSKK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-01-16, 11:27 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]I'd guess around 5-20 concurrent connections then. 10 MySQL connections would be quite limiting, if anything, it doesn't allow much room for expansion. Actually, it's a bit of a surprise that your free host allows you to stay with them considering the load.

Hope that helps.

My free host do not have connection limit/user. It has connection limit/server. My forum is not too big. But it will become in near future. Godady is providing 50 concurrent connections. I think, i will host my forum on their servers.
Thanks for help Big Grin
Most have load limits - free hosts are typically especially tight about this, otherwise everyone would host with them, and quickly overload the servers...
Good luck however!
I do not advise Godaddy at all.

Your forums sounds like it needs a dedicated. Shared hosting a forum with 500+ users online is intensive.

I just got a great deal on a quad-core with 4gb and an unmetered 10mbps pipe for $123 per month.
http://www.limestonenetworks.com/

They host also http://www.yugiohcardmaker.net which is a Mybb forum with over 500+ users online at a time. His specs are very similar to what I just rented.
Is it the forum in your sig? I don't see 500 concurrent users. Right now it's just 9...
For about 30 concurrent users, a VPS should be fine. You needn't the power or price of a dedi.
I would recommend a VPS to start off if you have some server experience. Most VPS hosts have a range of plans which allow you to up/downgrade easily