MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I begin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I've opened up a small site off the coast of nowhere, a tiny dot in the can't sea.

Anyway, as a sprouting young web developer dude(with no training whatsoever Toungue ), I was wondering how to start modifying the code of/adding my own plug-ins to myBB.

Obviously, the first step would be learning PHP, which, I admit, I've slacked off in that. But, after taking that first step, what am I going to be dealing with?
the process of learning a programming language isn't as easy as eating a pie. It won't happen over night and it may take months till you get to the level where you can start modding.

After you've learned php at an intermediate-advanced level the next step would be to make a sketch of your plugin(decide what you want it to do) after which check out the Mybb plugin hooks
First of all you need a good PHP knowledge.

As second you may need to study the whole MyBB's code, it offers a good set of API which will speed up the writing of plugins. Smile
(2009-01-16, 03:21 PM)ThaSlayer Wrote: [ -> ]the process of learning a programming language isn't as easy as eating a pie. It won't happen over night and it may take months till you get to the level where you can start modding.

I realize what it takes to learn a programming language. I've self taught myself programming languages before, and had some beginning courses in High School. Programming itself is hard to learn, but, learning the syntax isn't quite so hard, though I thank you for warning me. Big Grin
Programming isn't only knowing the syntax...is being able to solve problems writing efficient solutions for solving them
yes, I was getting at that. Smile
Get a good book on programming and/or see if you can find a school that offers programming courses for beginners and/or see if some of your friends already know programming and can help you get started. Then find something you want to do and just do it. That's how I started programming anyhow.

Getting into programming may be hard at first. I know I tried to learn QBasic as a kid but failed, same with Pascal in 7th or 8th grade. What really got me into programming was doing it with friends; we found a game that you could extend with your own code (rooms, monsters, objects you could interact with) and programming for that game together with friends was one of the most fun things I ever did in my life.

Find something you have fun doing, and it's a great help to have friends who already know things and can explain them to you, or at least who sit in the same boat and you can learn together. And then just do it.

Don't learn programming for learning programmings sake. If you don't have any idea of what you actually want to program, there is no point in learning how to do it. Or rather, there is no way you can go.