MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Simple explanation of CAPTCHA please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

My users (and me) find it very difficult to tell the difference between the upper and lower case letters in the CAPTCHA. I've read through the forums and Wiki, but the explanation of what makes up the CAPTCHA (GD installed) are beyond my knowledge. There is no refresh image button so my user are filling in the complete registration form each time and often then forget to re-enter the password compounding the problems/frustration...

Please can some explain what makes up the CAPTCHA system and what I can do to improve the general legibility. It is pretty obvious that is impossible tell the difference between wW or uU and oO and many other letters.

1.4.2 but upgrading to 1.4.4 soon.

Thank you,
Quote:There is no refresh image button so my user are filling in the complete registration form each time and often then forget to re-enter the password compounding the problems/frustration...

There is a refresh button just below the image.

The captcha is generated by php using the GD library. A good option would be for you to install the RECAPTCHA MOD ( http://mods.mybboard.net/view/recaptcha-ii ) for your forum which will both reduce spam-bot registrations and will facilitate new user registrations( there is an option which allows users to listen to the words)

[Image: 2hq9ljp.jpg]
There should be a refrsh button, can you printscreen where it doesn't show?? And the default CAPTCHA isn't case sensitive anyway, it even says that...
This is what appears on my public registration screen.

[attachment=12363]
Well I'm not sure why you're saying you can't tell between w and W when it says there it's case insensitive.

Does it not show to all users?? Have you edited any templates?? Does it show on the reply page if you allow guest posting in a forum??
Thanks Matt - My mistake. I miss read it as case sensitive. I am very sorry for wasting your time. Blush

I've installed the ReCaptcha II pluggin and got that working fine and I now have the feature screen captured earlier in the thread.