MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Segregated Admin Panel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have a "client" who would like to give some of their staff individual admin privledges based on what section of the site they govern.

X person oversees Group 1
Group 1 has Boards A and Boards B
Group 1 has 3 "sub groups"

Y person oversees Group 2
Group 2 has Boards C and Boards D
Group 2 has 5 "sub groups"

Is it possible to limit what users, boards, groups etc that X can manage? The same with Y?

I'm not asking if anyone can do this but if you think it is possible with in the parameters of a plugin that limiting admin privledges to specific boards, groups and maybe even users is possible?

I appreciate any discussion that follows.
You can do this with mods, but I don't think it can be done with admins. So you need an admin person Z who oversees mods X and Y who oversee their respective subforums.

The alternative would be to install two independent MyBB and link to each other using an external forum link. This would give you two completely independent admins and user bases and forums. That works okay if a link to the other forum is all you need.

If you need to be able to exchange data, you always need someone who has permissions for everything. Take for example moving threads. If you divided forum permissions between X and Y so perfectly, then you can never move a thread from Board D to Board A. Because Y only has permissions to Boards C and D, and X only has them for A and B, but to move a thread from D to A you need someone who has permission for both D and A.

Usually you would make X and Y mods and have some Z admin staff above them who can help them out if they want their forum structure etc. changed or something moved.
No you misunderstand. I'm talking about admin features not moderation. The moderation works fine out of the box.

What we need is for Person X to be able to change the names of Board A and Board B and the permissions, edit the usergroup details for the three subgroups as well as the permissions etc.

I can assign A usergroup to have partial admin privs to say Manage forums, the they manage all the forums. But I don't want User X to be able to change the name of Board C because they aren't his.

It has nothing to do with moderation. That's fine as is.
*bumping* This is the following list of functions we'd like to have:

A Leader would have the ability to modify existing forums (only these items: name, description, parent, order and add/remove moderators).

A Leader would have the ability to modify existing usergroups (only these items: name, description, group leaders and default user titles).

Each leader is only able to do the above things to a list of usergroups/forums not all forums.

I know that currently there is the ability to grant blanet access to these functions. My main question is. Do you think it is possible to do what I suggest. My knowledge of mybb is limited to what I've learned thus far and it's no where near what some of you have.

I am not sure what admin authentication is needed.

Here is a base guess at some things I've thought about.

Adding a user to X group which would give them access to the forum management and the usergroup management. In the admin panel check to see if if the user is part of group X and redirect him/her to a different page altogether (this would probably need to be done on all pages so they don't get to the full admin access area). Here the options would have limited access to those fourms and usergroups linked with their account.

Again I have no clue what is possible yet with mybb. I'm doing prelimiary research before delving into the whole thing right now.

Anyone have any comments or insights into if this might be possible?
As frostschutz said, this can not be done by anyway except from using a mod or plugin.(as far as I know)

I thought you could, but from trying it - I highly doubt it. Right now, you can enable/disable a user to have access to the Admin CP - but in order to give access to certain forums, you'd need to make a whole nother set of permissions, and for each forum/category.

Kind Regards,
TomL
That's what I'm asking. If a plugin is capable of going this deep into the admin panel configuration. (This is a development forum in the plugin/modifciation area kinda assumed that this was the place to ask such questions about developing)
(2009-02-10, 10:09 PM)Matalina Wrote: [ -> ]That's what I'm asking. If a plugin is capable of going this deep into the admin panel configuration. (This is a development forum in the plugin/modifciation area kinda assumed that this was the place to ask such questions about developing)
I'm assuming so. I doubt one's available though.
yes I know one is not available or I wouldn't be asking Toungue

That is all I needed to know. Now to delve farther into developing said plugin.

still if anyone has any comments insights would love to hear them.
(2009-02-10, 10:14 PM)Matalina Wrote: [ -> ]yes I know one is not available or I wouldn't be asking Toungue

That is all I needed to know. Now to delve farther into developing said plugin.

still if anyone has any comments insights would love to hear them.
Want me to move this to the requests section?
well since I'm not really requesting anyone to do this is that wise?
Pages: 1 2