MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Anyway around the Login Password Conversion plugin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see the Login Password Conversion plugin activated in the plugin list after converting my 3.7.4 vB board to MyBB 1.4 and was wondering if there was a way I can remove this somehow? Like can I remove it and use my admin account to create new passwords for my members? Or maybe have them change their passwords? Any suggestions or ideas?
Without the Login Password Conversion plugin your members will not be able to login with the passwords they already have.
Do you mean without? If so, then all I have to do is manually create new passwords and I can get rid of it?
Yes, but why would you do that? It doesn't slow down or harm your forum in anyway?
I just don't like it, it's probably my OCD. Wink
(2009-01-21, 11:10 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]I just don't like it, it's probably my OCD. Wink

Well it'll be more work for you and your members if you do remove it
All 12 of them? Wink
(2009-01-22, 12:13 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]All 12 of them? Wink

oh well lol in that case, if you must. Just tell all of them to login. Once all of them do then you can safely remove the plugin.

I can explain the details of how it works if you'd like to know but I figured I'd skip them for now since it does get a bit dull
Actually I am interested. I figured it was a bridge between the way MyBB handled passwords and how vB handled them... right?
(2009-01-22, 01:55 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Actually I am interested. I figured it was a bridge between the way MyBB handled passwords and how vB handled them... right?

Yeh. Basically when you convert your forum from vB, the MyBB Merge System adds two columns to your mybb_users table:
passwordconverttype - The forum software the password is from (i.e. vb3)
and passwordconvert - The actual encrypted password from the forum software

Then the loginconvert.php plugin overwrites the standard MyBB login functionality to check if the password is one from a non-MyBB forum software. If it is, then it takes the plain text password you just typed in the login page and runs it's through the forum software's own encryption algorithm to check if it is correct or not. If it is correct, then we take the plain text password and wrap around MyBB's own encryption algorithm, store it in the users table, then get rid of the values of passwordconvert and passwordconverttype since they're no longer needed.

The reason we have to do it a the login stage versus the actual merge process is that encrypted passwords are irreversible. However at the login stage when you hit enter MyBB receives the password in plain text solving the irreversible show-stopper problem.

Ryan