MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Changed Servers - Big trouble getting threads to link properly
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys, I'm new to posting, but lovemyBB.

Here is the deal: I switched servers, the way i transfered the database was by running a backup file non the old server, then "re-booting" the back up on the my sql DB on the new server. Things seemed good, but When you click on the specific links it gives me the error: 404 url not found....it seemes to be looking for the file the wrong way.....the BB main page links are not to the "showthread.php" file, they seem to be directed straight to the name of the database file, not the showthread.php file which I believe should recall those files.
INCIDENTALLY: i did have to change the directory listing for the root folder of the forum too. so it isn't the exact same directory as it was on the previous server, if this might be the issue, how would i fix it?

The link to my forum is: www.designerdozen.com/dozen/michael/bbforum.index.php

I really hope someone can help...i've perused the forums but not found any issue similar to this....Thank you for any response!!!

Michael Pope
This is because you have the MyBB SEF URLs turned on. This means ./showthread.php?fid=1 becomes ./forum-1.html, so it is technically working as it should, but just not on your server, if you see what I mean.

You can either turn them off in ACP > Configuration > Server and Optimization Options > Enable search engine friendly URLs? > Disabled, or rename your htaccess.txt file to .htaccess and see if that works.

Also, on a side note, your cookie path is /designerdozen/dozen/Michael/bbforum/ and it should be /dozen/Michael/bbforum/
(2009-01-21, 11:16 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]This is because you have the MyBB SEF URLs turned on. This means ./showthread.php?fid=1 becomes ./forum-1.html, so it is technically working as it should, but just not on your server, if you see what I mean.

You can either turn them off in ACP > Configuration > Server and Optimization Options > Enable search engine friendly URLs? > Disabled, or rename your htaccess.txt file to .htaccess and see if that works.

Also, on a side note, your cookie path is /designerdozen/dozen/Michael/bbforum/ and it should be /dozen/Michael/bbforum/

Thanks Matt! you are the man! it worked by changing the SEF...though it didn't workby simply chanign the htaccess file name. What is the dilly with the servers? i know my old server was windows and new one is linux, but why is that affected in the SEF area?

You're help was awesome thank you so much!
Correct, the ability to have SEO url's rely on renaming the htaccess.txt that comes default with MyBB to .htaccess. That also means that your server must support htaccess and mod_rewrite, otherwise you will have the old links.
great job on this issue! thank you!
ncidentally, which servers support mod_rewrite?
(2009-01-22, 12:39 AM)dapope78 Wrote: [ -> ]incidentally, which servers support mod_rewrite?

There are lots of servers that do and most can have the ability, you just have to talk to your host