MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: 1st time backing up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently using version 1.4.2 (1402) but would like to upgrade. I've been reading how to do this, but I'm confused. I know what the AdminCP panel is and I see I can back up there, but the Wiki also says I can back up through phpMyAdmin and SSH/TelNet and I was also reading on backing up threads that I can backup my entire board through the cpanel.

So, what do all these options mean and which one should I use?

Also, when it says backing up my database does that mean backing up the entire board or just a part of it?

Thanks for the help. I'm totally lost on this.
You don't need to use anything other then the ACP backup feature if you have access to it. If you select all the tables in the ACP backup manager, download it as a plain text file, you'll have your entire board backed up. Also download a copy of your files, too.
My files? Is that where it asks me to backup Structure, Data, or both? I'm assuming I want to do both, but I don't know what they mean when they say Structure and Data.

What does it mean to analyze and optimize the selected tables? And, do I want to save everything to a backup directory (no idea where that would be) or download it (I'm assuming to my hard-drive)?

Thanks Matt for the quick response!
No, all the backup in the ACP does is backup the database tables, you have to download your files manually. Leave the Structure and Data setting to both.

Leave the analyse/optimize bit ticked, I think it just cleans the database up a bit as it's downloading, and yeah, if you save it to your computer, that'll be a bit easier if it needs to be used.
One more question (sorry to be annoying). When you refer to my files, are you talking about all the stuff I've uploaded on to my forum?
Yeah Smile That isn't as important as the database backup, but if anything were to go wrong, you could easily revert to the files you had before. All you're really saving by downloading all the files are plugins and themes.
And if I've still got them on my hard drive from when I originally uploaded them, I should be good then, right? Because it's essentially the same thing? And also, because I have no idea where I saved them for my site Toungue

Sorry, I'm just so not savvy at this!
Well you'd need to upload the copy you download if you ever need to... not the original ones as that wouldn't contain any of the info you downloaded.