MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Update an attachment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One thing I don't like about adding attachments is that if you have to edit it for some reason and upload it again, you have to remove it and add it again, which means the download count goes, and I'm sure a lot of people want to know how many downloads there have been. What about adding an 'Update Attachment' option, so it updates the file itself, but keeps the download count??

http://ideas.mybboard.net/idea/update-an-attachment
How is MyBB meant to know that it's an updated version of the file/archive and not a new file/archive?

That's the only problem I can see. Unless there is some easy way of doing that. =D
Say you have an attachment of a zip file, example.zip

If a user uploads an example.zip file, maybe overwrite the old one?
Well, it would probably have the same name, right?? Well, now, when you try and upload another attachment with the same name as a pre-existing one, it says that a file with that name already exists. So, at that stage, it could say 'You have already uploaded a file with this name, would you like to overwrite the previous file??'. Or you could tick a little box saying to overwrite the old one.
Exactly my point above..
(2009-01-24, 09:28 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly my point above..

Yeah, sorry, I loaded the page before you posted but I posted after you Toungue
(2009-01-24, 09:30 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-01-24, 09:28 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly my point above..

Yeah, sorry, I loaded the page before you posted but I posted after you Toungue
It's all good:p
I like your idea Matt.

I also thought that if it's a file that has the version in the filename then every time the version changes the file name would too.

To comphensate for that maybe in the upload part of posting a reply we could have (for attachments that are already attached) "Remove" "Replace" "Insert Into Post"?

It sounds messy but I can see it all working. =)
(2009-01-24, 09:31 PM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]I like your idea Matt.

I also thought that if it's a file that has the version in the filename then every time the version changes the file name would too.

To comphensate for that maybe in the upload part of posting a reply we could have (for attachments that are already attached) "Remove" "Replace" "Insert Into Post"?

It sounds messy but I can see it all working. =)
I can see it working, tooSmile
I like the idea, and I just had to be the first non-support team member to post here .. :\