MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do you insert an RSS feed within MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Specifically, I would like to add some news feeds within the news area of my forum, like CNN, BBC, or NPR.

I would appreciate it if someone can explain how to do this, step by step.

ThanksSmile
So basically you want to read an RSS feed, and put it in your forums? Do you want it in a thread, or just displayed on the main page of your forums?

Regards,
TomL
Moved to correct forum, was in bug reports...
(2009-01-24, 06:46 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]So basically you want to read an RSS feed, and put it in your forums? Do you want it in a thread, or just displayed on the main page of your forums?

Regards,
TomL

Thanks, Tom.

Ideally, I'd like it to be in the News area of the forum on the main page if possible. A plus would be if I could have scrolling headlines, however, if this is more involved, I will settle for an RSS feed.

What do you think?

Thanks againSmile.
Well if you don't want anything special, you can try Iframing it into your forums:
<iframe src="LINK_TO_RSS_FEED" width="100%">Your browser doesn't support iframes.</iframe>
But if you want it so it actually reads it and shows it in a nice, fancy manner - you'll have to have someone else help ya; as I've never done it

Regards,
TomL
(2009-01-24, 07:03 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]Well if you don't want anything special, you can try Iframing it into your forums:
<iframe src="LINK_TO_RSS_FEED" width="100%">Your browser doesn't support iframes.</iframe>
But if you want it so it actually reads it and shows it in a nice, fancy manner - you'll have to have someone else help ya; as I've never done it

Regards,
TomL

Thanks again, Tom. Do you have any examples of how the iframe setup looks when its done (a link would be niceSmile)?

Also, if I decide to go this route, obviously I would go to my FTP client, and then go to the Index.php file? I would appreciate it if you could briefly explain how to get it done.

Thanks.
Well, it's quite simple really. You would edit your header_include file, I think(I've never tried it before) with the code I gave you and change src="LINK_TO_RSS_FEED" to src="http://link.com/rss_feed.rss" or something similar. And no, I don't have a working example.
(2009-01-24, 07:22 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it's quite simple really. You would edit your header_include file, I think(I've never tried it before) with the code I gave you and change src="LINK_TO_RSS_FEED" to src="http://link.com/rss_feed.rss" or something similar. And no, I don't have a working example.

Are these changes to be made in the index.php or rss.php file?, which one?
Neither. Assuming you're an administrator of the forums, go to: Admin CP > Templates & Style > THEME NAME

And add the code I gave you before where you want it to appear.
(2009-01-24, 07:44 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]Neither. Assuming you're an administrator of the forums, go to: Admin CP > Templates & Style > THEME NAME

And add the code I gave you before where you want it to appear.

Wow. I assumed I would have to do it, and got on my FTP client.

Ok, I will give it a go.

Thanks
Pages: 1 2