MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Fighting spam - Humanizer for MyBB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

I'm starting to get a lot of CAPTCHA busting spam bots on my board. vBully has a Humazier thing where you ask a question on registration to check if you're human. Can MyBB do this in any way?

Another thing we did at my work to stop spam comments on an editorial site is introduced a hidden field on the page. If a bot populated this field we classed it as spam. This helped the problem greatly.

Can either of these 2 things be done with a standard install of MyBB? I searched and found nothing.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
IMO, those questions are much easier for spambots to get through than CAPTCHAs. A hidden field is probably not a very good defense either - it's fairly simple to code around (MUCH much easier than trying to OCR).

My suggestion would be to try changing the CAPTCHA fonts and/or the background image. If that doesn't work for you, you can try implementing reCAPTCHA to see if that helps, but that would require some modification (I believe the reCAPTCHA site has some info on how to integrate it into a website).
http://www.mybbcentral.com/showthread.php?tid=1496&highlight=extra+registration

Hope this helps Big Grin
That looks like exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks very much!