MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Delaying emailing member passwords when merging?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
What if I want to convert my old phpbb3 site to a test site, just to see how it goes, AND then spend a month developing the theme before taking the board live?

Will the merge inactivate the board, or break it, if I run the merge up to the point where the board has to email all customers and then just stop it there?

Will I then be able to style the board, and save the backup files after styling it, and finally load it all up on the REAL server and then do the "activate email" thing?

Cheers, and thanks for all your good work. I like how clean this software looks. I also like how Mybb has "subscribe" and "unsubscribe", unlike SMF which has "Notify" whether or not you ARE subscribed to the forum or not.

Take note: SMF are getting their RC1 for SMF 2 out, and it has WYSIWYG in the core... is Mybb working towards a nice tidy core WYSIWYG editor? (The less plug-ins, the less stuff us newbies can break when themeing. Or so it seems.)Confused
(2009-02-01, 10:55 AM)eclipsenow Wrote: [ -> ]Take note: SMF are getting their RC1 for SMF 2 out, and it has WYSIWYG in the core... is Mybb working towards a nice tidy core WYSIWYG editor? (The less plug-ins, the less stuff us newbies can break when themeing. Or so it seems.)Confused
MyBB does have a WYSIWYG editor in default for 1.4Smile It even has 2 theme/skin options just for the editor

Kind Regards,
TomL
Wikid! I love the way the open source world competes with each other giving everyone better software, and keeping your coding skills on their toes! Cool

However, I'm still wondering if I can convert my phpbb3 straight into 1.4 and if that last "email users step" is going to be my downfall.

Are there any rumours about a new "Gold" version of the 1.4 converter? Is it a lot more work having 1 converter rather than many little converters for all the other forums? Anyway, keep up the great work.
(2009-02-01, 11:03 AM)eclipsenow Wrote: [ -> ]Wikid! I love the way the open source world competes with each other giving everyone better software, and keeping your coding skills on their toes! Cool

However, I'm still wondering if I can convert my phpbb3 straight into 1.4 and if that last "email users step" is going to be my downfall.

Are there any rumours about a new "Gold" version of the 1.4 converter? Is it a lot more work having 1 converter rather than many little converters for all the other forums? Anyway, keep up the great work.
You cannot currently convert from phpBB3>MyBB1.4, but you can convert from phpBB3 to MyBB 1.2, then upgrade to 1.4.

Kind Regards,
TomL
But it doesn't take the old members passwords, it has to email them new ones? That's a bit irritating if I want to convert it just to see IF I can do it when I need to, and then modify the theme for a month because I know I can.

There's not much point learning how to theme a bulletin board if I don't know that I will ultimately be able to convert my current board to it. Yet I don't want to convert if I have to send them all an email about something that's a month or so away. Catch 22.
(2009-02-01, 10:58 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]MyBB does have a WYSIWYG editor in default for 1.4Smile

What are you talking about? It does not have a WYSIWYG editor. Please check your facts.
(2009-02-01, 11:05 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-01, 11:03 AM)eclipsenow Wrote: [ -> ]Wikid! I love the way the open source world competes with each other giving everyone better software, and keeping your coding skills on their toes! Cool

You cannot currently convert from phpBB3>MyBB1.4, but you can convert from phpBB3 to MyBB 1.2, then upgrade to 1.4.

Kind Regards,
TomL

Yes you can convert directly from phpBB 3 to MyBB 1.4. Use the MyBB 1.4 Merge System. The Merge System doesn't need to send emails out to revert passwords either. Just make sure you apply this fix when your done: http://community.mybboard.net/thread-420...#pid302288