MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [wontfix] ] in username breaks quote
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
MattR:

(2009-01-31, 06:14 PM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]testing

MattR plus square bracket]:

(2009-01-31, 06:14 PM)MattR plus square bracket] Wrote: [ -> ]testing

Is this anything that could be worked around??
This is a known limitation. Are brackets even allowed in usernames?
Ah ok... yep, I found this on another forum where I quoted a post with a ] at the end of the username and just tested here, both ( ) and [ ] are allowed. So disallowing them may be a better option IMO.
(2009-02-01, 05:06 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]This is a known limitation. Are brackets even allowed in usernames?

Indeed they are: Josh[y]

A possible way of checking would be checking for two right brackets, if two exist, the last one would be used as the closing deliminator.
(2009-02-21, 09:38 PM)Imad Jomaa Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-01, 05:06 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]This is a known limitation. Are brackets even allowed in usernames?

Indeed they are: Josh[y]

A possible way of checking would be checking for two right brackets, if two exist, the last one would be used as the closing deliminator.
That doesn't fix the problem because this is an arbitrary issue.

[quote=abc-[def]Hello! :] Yay![/quote]
^ Does the above mean that "abc-[def" said "Hello! :] Yay!" or does it mean that "abc-[def]Hello! :" said " Yay!"?
or you could just not allow this character in usernames
(2009-02-22, 03:46 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]or you could just not allow this character in usernames
We've got complaints about that idea - where some forums, apparently square brackets play a biggish role in the theme of the forum...

My suggestion would be to use double-quotes (") - these aren't allowed in usernames. I somewhat hate double-quotes in quote tags, so I would suggest only put them in if the username contains a square bracket.
(2009-02-22, 05:58 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-22, 03:46 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]or you could just not allow this character in usernames
We've got complaints about that idea - where some forums, apparently square brackets play a biggish role in the theme of the forum...

O_o

Can't they find some other way to do it?
I'm sure there's plenty of ways to do it, but half of them aren't feasible or logical, for that matter.
... or just have them convert to & #91; and & #93;? Everything will read them as that, users will still see them as [], problem solved.
Pages: 1 2