MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: My rant for the day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Okay, so the past few hours I've spent on this site, I've noticed something. About 75% of the members here have a forum or website of some kind.

Being a site dedicated to forum software, I know this is understandable, but my question is...why?

Why take the time to make a website with a 90% that it will either fish in a handful of members, or be crowded for a while, and then die off?

To me it seems pointless, especially when the forum is so generic (I'm looking at you Disturbed_One).

I understand that want to be able to proudly say "I own xxxx website", but having owned 3 websites in the past, each of them an epic failure (Even with my frequent attempts to reel in members), I find it a waste of time.

You all may not agree with me, but I bet you, for everyone 1 person that goes online, there are 5 forums to match him/her. Who has the time and patience to go through all that?
:| This makes no sense. Why would people be here if they didn't have a forum. MyBB is forum software and so it isn't really that unrealistic that people here will actually use it.

It's only a failure if the topic isn't popular or the admin can't/doesn't manage it properly. There are plenty of forums that are very popular, and have tens of thousands of members. If people want to make a forum, why the hell shouldn't they??
I'm not too sure of why others do it, but I know I have my forum to release my themes, and plugins. Many other people do for that reason, too - such as labrocca. And others have help sites, such as MattR.

Kind Regards,
TomL
Why would you be here if you didn't have a forum? Not to say there aren't loads of crappy ones -- there are -- but there are also loads of good, active ones (like mine Cool)

Maybe your websites failed because you're not good at owning a website. Seems to me you're just bitter because your projects were failures whilst other people have successful sites.
I started posting here when I didn't have a forum - just playing around with it. I started supporting others even. I joined the support team and I'm pretty sure I still didn't have a forum for the public..

I have one now and I like the 14 members I have. Just close friends. :]
(2009-02-01, 09:54 PM)rh1n0 Wrote: [ -> ]I started posting here when I didn't have a forum - just playing around with it. I started supporting others even. I joined the support team and I'm pretty sure I still didn't have a forum for the public..

I have one now and I like the 14 members I have. Just close friends. :]
So that's why I got odd looks when I joined? Ah, that explains it.

Well, since we're on the topic of how we started - I think - I'll share my boring story. I have no life, I often visit sites for no reason. Once upon a time, a boy named Tom was looking at phpBB.com and noticed something about some software called "MyBB". In that post, before it got deleted, was a link to MyBB's website. At the time, it wasn't nearly what it was - but the software was impressive. Tom decided to join the forums to get some help, and eventually became the helper. Moral of the story - great things come from being boredToungue
I consider my ...Domain a site.

Yes it is mainly a forum but by customizing MyBB to my own purpose..Im able to make it look like a site.
(2009-02-01, 10:09 PM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]I consider my ...Domain a site.

Yes it is mainly a forum but by customizing MyBB to my own purpose..Im able to make it look like a site.

A website is a place to visit on the internet. Hence, your forum is a website. Wink

My Story (love it when I can copy and paste. Toungue):

For me, it was a long journey. I started with PHPBB (at a free hosting website) and was an active member at their community (phpbb.com), when I finally needed to expand and move into a .com (about a year and a bunch of thousand posts later), I was basically sponsored and received one year free hosting from http://dot5.com and a domain: rc-palace.com

Once I got my hosting account setup, I spent a couple of months searching for something new, and I found PHPNuke. From there, I migrated from PHPBB to PHPNuke for a couple of weeks, still in search for a good bulletin board software. I found the website "opensourcecms.com" while preforming my search, and opened their forums drop down and viewed each demo, as soon as I saw MyBB's, I said to myself "Wow! A forum software which has exactly everything I need!". Of course, I said it in a more excited manner and like everyone else, "It's just like VBulletin!", which isn't true anymore Smile. So I rushed and switched over to MyBB using an unofficial PHPBB to MyBB converter, I did run into a bit of problems while converting but I did get support (I think it was Zaher who helped me) to fix it. I didn't change the MyBB theme as all my users loved it, as did I. A couple of weeks later from the time, I registered at the MyBB mods forum (when it existed at the time), I spent some time there, especially happy with Ryan Gordon's E-Cellular mod. A couple of months later at the time, I found out about MyBB's official support forum, and immediately registered there. I was happy about finding some good user activity. Long story short, here I am today, (3 or 4 years later, and about 2 years later after registering at the MyBB forums), a MyBB Team Member and supporter.
Best Regards.
(2009-02-01, 11:01 PM)Rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-01, 10:09 PM)Chasingu Wrote: [ -> ]I consider my ...Domain a site.

A website is a place to visit on the internet. Hence, your forum is a website. Wink

My Story (love it when I can copy and paste. Toungue):

For me, it was a long journey. I started with PHPBB (at a free hosting website) and was an active member at their community (phpbb.com), when I finally needed to expand and move into a .com (about a year and a bunch of thousand posts later), I was basically sponsored and received one year free hosting from http://dot5.com and a domain: rc-palace.com

Once I got my hosting account setup, I spent a couple of months searching for something new, and I found PHPNuke. From there, I migrated from PHPBB to PHPNuke for a couple of weeks, still in search for a good bulletin board software. I found the website "opensourcecms.com" while preforming my search, and opened their forums drop down and viewed each demo, as soon as I saw MyBB's, I said to myself "Wow! A forum software which has exactly everything I need!". Of course, I said it in a more excited manner and like everyone else, "It's just like VBulletin!", which isn't true anymore Smile. So I rushed and switched over to MyBB using an unofficial PHPBB to MyBB converter, I did run into a bit of problems while converting but I did get support (I think it was Zaher who helped me) to fix it. I didn't change the MyBB theme as all my users loved it, as did I. A couple of weeks later from the time, I registered at the MyBB mods forum (when it existed at the time), I spent some time there, especially happy with Ryan Gordon's E-Cellular mod. A couple of months later at the time, I found out about MyBB's official support forum, and immediately registered there. I was happy about finding some good user activity. Long story short, here I am today, (3 or 4 years later, and about 2 years later after registering at the MyBB forums), a MyBB Team Member and supporter.
Best Regards.
Your story is so much more interesting than mineSad lol nice story thoughSmile Mine would've been longer, but I kept it short and sweetToungue
I can make it longer than that. It wasn't smooth sailing in searching, but who cares about me anyway? Toungue
Pages: 1 2