MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Backing up your forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I almost had a close call the other day, very luck. This prompts me to ask, how do you back up the forum?Smile. What is the best way? Thanks.
well, you can backup the forum, using the database backups in "Tools and Maintenance"
It depends. I think you mean the folders and database, correct? I know you can backup the database by a task that comes with a default installation of MyBB 1.4.x
Yep, go there, select all the tables, and download it as plain text. Or set up a task to backup to the backups directory.
(2009-02-03, 08:52 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]It depends. I think you mean the folders and database, correct? I know you can backup the database by a task that comes with a default installation of MyBB 1.4.x

Specifically, I am referring to the forums/categories/threads, etc. (the whole fricken' thingSmile) If something happens it is backed up. I went to Tools and Maintenance > Database Backup > New Database Backup. Is this where I need to go for it? Also, what should I tick and choose to get a thorough back up?

Muchas Gracias Amigos Smile
Well if you want to have it backed up, just enable the "Database backup" task, but going to Admin CP > Tools & Maintenance > Task Manager > Database backup(or similar) and click on "Options" and click "Enable"(if it's currently disabled). That will back up all of your forums, threads, etc. - and should back up any table inside the database.

Kind Regards,
TomL
(2009-02-03, 09:03 PM)enlightenme Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-03, 08:52 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]It depends. I think you mean the folders and database, correct? I know you can backup the database by a task that comes with a default installation of MyBB 1.4.x

Specifically, I am referring to the forums/categories/threads, etc. (the whole fricken' thingSmile) If something happens it is backed up. I went to Tools and Maintenance > Database Backup > New Database Backup. Is this where I need to go for it? Also, what should I tick and choose to get a thorough back up?

Muchas Gracias Amigos Smile

As I said in my previous post, select all the tables.
(2009-02-03, 09:06 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]Well if you want to have it backed up, just enable the "Database backup" task, but going to Admin CP > Tools & Maintenance > Task Manager > Database backup(or similar) and click on "Options" and click "Enable"(if it's currently disabled). That will back up all of your forums, threads, etc. - and should back up any table inside the database.

Kind Regards,
TomL

Thanks Tom. I got it done. I did it a bit differently though, I went into 'New backup' under Database Backup, selected all the tables, file type: Plain text, Save Method: Backup directory, Back up Contents: Structure and Data, Analyze and Optimize selected tables: Yes, then backed it up. Does this seem correct to you?

Also, if I ever have to use it, how do I initiate it?

Thanks
(2009-02-03, 11:40 PM)enlightenme Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-03, 09:06 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]Well if you want to have it backed up, just enable the "Database backup" task, but going to Admin CP > Tools & Maintenance > Task Manager > Database backup(or similar) and click on "Options" and click "Enable"(if it's currently disabled). That will back up all of your forums, threads, etc. - and should back up any table inside the database.

Kind Regards,
TomL

Thanks Tom. I got it done. I did it a bit differently though, I went into 'New backup' under Database Backup, selected all the tables, file type: Plain text, Save Method: Backup directory, Back up Contents: Structure and Data, Analyze and Optimize selected tables: Yes, then backed it up. Does this seem correct to you?

Also, if I ever have to use it, how do I initiate it?

Thanks
Go to phpMyAdmin > Database name > SQL(tab), and then open the file and copy the contents of the backup into the textarea in phpMyAdmin, and click "Go"
(2009-02-03, 11:43 PM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]Go to phpMyAdmin > Database name > SQL(tab), and then open the file and copy the contents of the backup into the textarea in phpMyAdmin, and click "Go"

Ok, great. So, I am assuming i did the backup correctly?

And where, is phpMyAdmin located?

Thanks
Pages: 1 2