MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Disabling feeds and search engine tracking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

How do I disable all feeds for my board?
Also, does deleting all bots and spiders hide the board from search engines?

Cheers
Sayak
To disable the feeds, just delete the link in the footer and delete syndication.php

And no, the Bots in the ACP are basically so you can see when a bot is on, if you delete them, they'll still visit but they'll just be called Guest. Create a file called robots.txt in your forum root and put this in it:

User-Agent: *
Disallow: /

Then it's goodbye bots Smile

Edit for typo
Regarding the bot issue, kudos! Big Grin

I deleted the syndication.php file and also have removed the RSS link from the footer. Although I still get a "Subscribe to this.." icon (using Firefox) at the addressbar, clicking on which shows a 404. Any way to solve that?
Errr... hmm, that didn't occur to me... I guess what you can do is make a new file claled syndication.php and either make it redirect to the index or have a message saying RSS has been disabled, unless someone else can think of something better... not too sure why that symbol will still be there though, must still be something on the page triggering it...
Well, I see it on my index page as well as all other pages: forumdisplay, showthread etc. I have created a syndication.php that shows "No feeds available" and redirects to index.

Thanks a lot! I'll be checking this thread if someone has ideas about removing the feed icon.

Cheers
Sayak
Thanks to neverendingo, the icon is now gone.

It needed removing of the rss(+xml) links from header (Templates -> Ungrouped -> headerinclude)
* Matt makes a note of that.

Glad it's gone Smile
thanks for info