MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Setup PRIVATE forum using myBBoard 1.4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all, thanks for making a great forum software! Big Grin Installing was a walk in the park!

I've installed mybboard in an attempt to make a private forum for me and my friends.
Can someone give any directions on what to steps are needed to make the forum completely private. Or is it even possible?

By "completely private" I mean:

* Guests are ONLY allowed to apply for an account. They cannot view anything in the forum

* Registration must be confirmed by an administrator before the new user can sign in and start viewing the forum.

Thanks again, jjabba
Sure, if you go to ACP > Users & Groups > Groups > Guests > and just untick all the permissions, specifically 'Can view board?' then all they'll see is a no permissions page unless they're registered.

ACP > Configuration > User Registration and Profile Options > Registration Method > Administrator Activation. Then give the Awaiting Activation usergroup the same permissions as the guests, i.e. nothing.
You can also use Nickman's plugin "Invitation Only" here: http://mybbsource.com/forums/thread-1181.html (you do need to post 5 times to be allowed to download), so signing to your forum is restricted.

Ori...
Thanks for the directions. But there is a problem MattR.
Using the settings you suggested I can instantly log in after registering, I cannot post, but I can still se the other posts in the forum and the forum listings.

How do I make new accounts totally useless until I've confirmed them?
If you make it so that the awaiting activation group can't do anything either, they should still just see the no permissions page when they login. You can also go into the advanced permissions for all the forums and set it so they can't do anything in those forums.
I just found that category myself just now.... Blush
I'm embarrassed...

Now it works just as expected! Thanks!
Hehe, glad it's how you want it Smile