MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Internet Filters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The wiki page editing history is blocked for me at my college. You'll never guess the reason it gave.

Shy
It can't be worse than this:

Quote:The Internet Use policy restricts access to this web page at this time.
Reason: "Disallowed" Keyword found: p_wnage.
(Added an underscore so my work proxy doesn't block me from viewing this thread. Big Grin)
Adult content? Our filter came up with something like that from memory.
Something about the site having malware or spyware on it?
Gaming.

:|

Not very extravagant, no, but how it thinks the edit history of a Wiki page is gaming, I'll never know.
Heh, and I've thought I've experienced some pretty bad filters...

Blocking Google Images was probably the most surprising thing for a school filter (apparently it shows inappropriate images, though the other image search engines apparently don't have the issue).
At my school the filters were reasonable for the most part.
One of the things that got to all of us was that we paid for every bit of internet we used (apart from the School's limited email system) and we were so restricted. We couldn't download .exe files, .rar, .zip, you name it.
But one of the worst things was Google Images was blocked, like Yumi said. Yahoo! and other image searches were blocked too. For a while after MSN's search was released it worked, but once they got to know about it they blocked that too.

Someone worked out that if you made the Google Images search (regardless of being taken to an error page) and took the "images." from the beginning of the URL it did the image search anyway. That was awesome. Big Grin
Oh yes, I've been through the Google Image search saga... they told us to use an image search engine called picsearch.com which, similar to Yumi's point, showed the exact same images. There's been about 4 different filtering systems employed at my college in that past 18 months and none of them seem to last more than a month... once someone finds a proxy site that isn't blocked, the filter is pointless. This is though by far the weirdest blockage I've seen, along with a very odd reason for blocking.
Depending on the port restrictions maybe a $10 VPS is what you need. Remote in and completely unrestricted internet. Wink
My college also had a go at me because I was using Notepadd++ off a memory stick.

UndecidedSad
Pages: 1 2 3 4