MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Is this a good way to backup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So far I've been making regular backups (and eventually will hopefully cron) with phpmyadmin, using the following export setup:

[Image: phpmyadmin.gif]

Is this a good way of doing it, or are there options that I should/shouldn't have ticked? Obviously this will become more important as my forums pick up, so I'm taking the time now to get a routine established.
I'd check the two DROP TABLE and IF EXISTS options. This would stop you getting "table already exists" errors when trying to overwrite an old database.
I'm not sure how phpmyadmin handles the extended inserts, but I'm pretty sure that there is a limit on how many you can insert at once. Good for small tables (extended inserts are a LOT faster) but if there is a limit on how many you can do at once... I'm not sure how phpmyadmin handles that...
Doh, forgot about this thread!

Will not using extended inserts actually affect my backup at all? Obviously I want it to be 100% complete, so I don't mind waiting a little longer if it's more guaranteed to get everything properly.

Also, will backing up my whole MyBB database also save the templates? Should I export that via the the AdminCP or is that just for if you want to make it suitable for distribution and/or other forums?
The templates are stored in the data base so they will be backed up with the rest of it.
Okies, thanks.

Is anyone able to give confirmation over whether or not 'extended inserts' is required for a secure MyBB backup?
phpMyAdmin documentation Wrote:"Extended inserts" provides a shorter dump file by using only once the INSERT verb and the table name.
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/

So no, extended inserts are not necessary for making a secure MyBB backup. However, you will get a secure MyBB backup when using extended inserts, as well. I think the only difference is that for humans, extended inserts would be easier to read.