MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Importing an old gZip to a new forum, different host
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok folks, hears my dilemma,

I had a MyBB 1.4 forum running on a free host that went "belly up". So, I moved to a different paid hosting provider, installed a fresh copy of MyBB 1.4.4. Now I did make a export of the old forum to my computer before the host went offline. Not the entire forum, just the gZip that said Export. I would like to import the old forum gZip to the new forum. Would it work? And mainly, will I ruin my new forum? If it doesn't work, will I be able to export it off, or delete it? I don't want to ruin my new forum. Thanks in advance....
You'll need to unzip the backup, and upload it in phpMyAdmin.
Thanks Matt, it wont "ruin" anything on my new forum will it? Can it be deleted if need be?
Well, if you make a backup of the newer forum too, it'll be ok whatever happens. Note that if you upload a backup you'll need to drop all of the existing tables anyway.
So it will revert the new forum to look like the old forum? Hmmm....might just skip doing this. The members are already mad that they need to start all over again. Don't want to make things worse for me.
Well if you upload the backup of the old forum, all the old data will be back. You just need to empty the database first so there aren't duplicates.
Ok thanks Matt. Might just leave it and see how it goes. It wont revert me back to an older MyBB, it will only change the forums to "say" what the old forums said, right? Couldn't I use the "Import" function in the ACP to do this, or not.
Well, what version was the backup taken on and what version are your files on now??
The version was 1.4.1 I think. I am now using 1.4.4. Could I use the "import" function in the ACP?
Na you can't import a backup in the ACP, but if you want to use this backup, you'll have to run the upgrade script, which won't take long. You'll have to download the package and upload the /install/ folder to your forum, go to yoursite.com/install/upgrade.php, choose 1.4.1 from the list, click 'Next' a few times and it'll work as it should.
Pages: 1 2