MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: word filter questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so, let's say i censor the word "bass" on my forum and replace it with "carp"

is there a way to do it so that it censors "bass" even if it is a part of another word? eg, bassing becomes carping, bassonet becomes carponet, etc
(2009-02-16, 12:56 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]so, let's say i censor the word "bass" on my forum and replace it with "carp"

is there a way to do it so that it censors "bass" even if it is a part of another word? eg, bassing becomes carping, bassonet becomes carponet, etc
It does it by default. It replaces "bass" with "carp" no matter what, whether it's a sentence, a long string of random words, etc. - as far as I know.
(2009-02-16, 12:58 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-16, 12:56 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]so, let's say i censor the word "bass" on my forum and replace it with "carp"

It does it by default. It replaces "bass" with "carp" no matter what, whether it's a sentence, a long string of random words, etc. - as far as I know.

well this isn't true, because people are getting around the word filter on my board

"bass" is censored
"bassing" is censored
but when someone types "bassin" it goes through fine
(2009-02-16, 01:16 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-16, 12:58 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]

well this isn't true, because people are getting around the word filter on my board

"bass" is censored
"bassing" is censored
but when someone types "bassin" it goes through fine
Hm. I'm not sure then. But in order to do that, you'd need some type of general character to do a general query on a message string. For example, * ='s the general character.

Kind Regards,
TomL
um

i have no idea what you're talking about
(2009-02-16, 01:21 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]um

It's pretty self explanatoryRolleyes If you think about it, you'd need a wildcard character to be able to do it, which in PHP is (.*?), but I don't think you can do that in word filters.
(2009-02-16, 01:25 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]

It's pretty self explanatoryRolleyes If you think about it, you'd need a wildcard character to be able to do it, which in PHP is (.*?), but I don't think you can do that in word filters.

I suppose it's self-explanatory if you know PHP.

(hint: i don't)

Also, I think other forum software allows wildcard filters.
(2009-02-16, 01:26 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-16, 01:25 AM)TomL Wrote: [ -> ]

I suppose it's self-explanatory if you know PHP.

(hint: i don't)

Also, I think other forum software allows wildcard filters.
Even in general logic it makes perfect sense. In order to search for something generally, you need a wildcard character to be able to know what comes after the general something.
All I was saying is that I didn't understand it and frankly for you to refer to it as "self-evident" as a support member is a bit short-sighted. Not everyone is well-versed in those details. I don't do any scripting languages.

At any rate, if it's impossible to do, that's disappointing. Most other forum software will allow you to enter * as a wildcard.
(2009-02-16, 01:32 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]All I was saying is that I didn't understand it and frankly for you to refer to it as "self-evident" as a support member is a bit short-sighted. Not everyone is well-versed in those details. I don't do any scripting languages.

At any rate, if it's impossible to do, that's disappointing. Most other forum software will allow you to enter * as a wildcard.
If it's going to turn into an argument, I'm gonna' close this thread. All I'm saying is that the logic is obvious. And as far as being able to do wildcard replacements, I'm not sure if you can.
Pages: 1 2