MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Elements of a Good Theme
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Elements of a Good Theme
by RenegadeFan

When designing a theme, you must to take into key some important elements. Without these, your theme will look like a heap of crap that no one will download. Here's some elements to follow:

Readability
This means if can you read the text or not. Putting a bright red on a dark red background or a bright yellow on a white background will not work. Putting white on a dark blue or a putting a black on a bright yellow will work. This is the #1 thing when designing a theme.

Colors
Try to limit yourself to one or two colors to base your theme off of. Don't have 20 different colors that don't go together.

Font
Choose fonts that are on most computers, like Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, and Georgia. The best way to support multiple fonts is doing this:

Sans-Serif:
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
Serif:
font-family: Georgia, "Times New Romans", Times, serif;

Content Size
Do you ever get annoyed by a theme that is not wide enough or too wide? I sure do, and this is something that keeps content looking nice. Set your width something spacious, but not too spacious. 90-95% or 850-900px should do well. Anymore, and your browser's worst enemy, the horizontal scrollbar, may appear.

Design
Keep your design up with popular trends. A great place to find trends is Web Designer Wall, which posts Design Trends every 3-4 months. For current trends, visit Best Web Gallery, which is updated nearly every day.

I hope these little tips help you out with your next theme. Don't expect to design the best theme in the world right out of the gate. I started at the bottom like everyone else and worked my way up.
Very good tutorialSmile
Nice tutorial. Big Grin
very nice, im pretty good with colors Wink
could you suggest me a good theme
now am boring with my theme