MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Help - backing up my database
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need some help backing up my db.

I asked my host what to do and they said i must do this.
Use a cron job to create a mysqldump for you once a day

Here is the support tickets.

HOST
Quote:Hello,
You can set up a cron job to create a mysqldump for you once a day and then you can download it if you want. It will download it into a .sql and then you could put in the script you run once a day to zip of this file. This is a scripting/coding item which is outside of our level of support. If you do a little searching online, there is probably someone who has written a script to do this which you could use. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

ME
Quote:I do not have the knowledge for this, can i pay you to set everything up needed for me?
If so, i would like it so all i have to do is download the compressed file once a day from my server via FTP.

Please give price info if you can do this for me.

HOST
Quote:Hello,
Setting something like this up for you is outside of our level of support. You would need to find someone with the programming knowledge who could set up the script and then create the cron job if this is something you would like to do. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

So, i am lost. I have NO idea how to do this.
I have ran my board now for months and do not have even 1 db backup yet.

Can someone please guide me?

If needed,
i can give my cpannel login info to a trusted staff support mod here if that would make it easy for you to help.

Thanks Smile
just do a simple backup from your admin panel.. tool and maintenance and database backup.. New database backup and download the file. .Big Grin
Tried that method before.. don't work.
All i get is a 1.5MB .sql.gz file.
My db is over 900MB.. compressed is still about 90 to 100MB.

I have also tried the "backup" db option in my host cpannel, it only gives me part of it as well.
Always a different file size.. smaller.. then bigger.. then smaller again .. never correct size.

So it's not giving me the full db doing it them 2 ways.
I am told the cron job way is best and will not be missing any tables.. a proper full backup.

Thanks for your input gamemaster Wink
What's wrong with downloading it in the ACP or setting up the backup task??
Hi Matt, as i said..
All i get is a 1.5MB .sql.gz file.
My db is over 900MB.. compressed is still about 90 to 100MB.
I have also tried the "backup" db option in my host cpannel, it only gives me part of it as well.
Always a different file size.. smaller.. then bigger.. then smaller again .. never correct size.

It does not backup proper downloading or telling it to make a backup from the boards acp. I only get a very small file.

Does not work.

setting up the backup task is what i want help with, i am told by the host to use the cron job to create a mysqldump backup for you once a day.
This will be auto done by the by a cron script and easy to download via ftp once the backup is made each day.

Can you help me? I can give you access via PM to my acp on the host.

Thanks!
Well, have you tried uploading it to a test forum and seeing if everything is there?? Maybe it's just smaller than you think. I think .sql.gz is kinda compressed twice too, when I open it in WinRAR, it extracts twice... or maybe I'm just misunderstanding what it's doing Toungue
This is what it looks like trying to do it via the host cp

[Image: 2iswh80.jpg]

[Image: snpikx.jpg]

but as i said.. it never gives me the full file. It finishes short!
cPanel is THE worst control panel to use to make db backups of big databases. Are you sure, like Matt said, the file (when done from MyBB Admin CP) that it's just not small?
no bro.. trust me.. its WAY short.

It can be 30MB 1 day, then 10MB a week later.. LOL Should be bigger, not smaller.
I can download 5 in a row, and all will be different sizes.. sometimes by a lot.
Do you get any errors or anything? If this is a database backup for your MyBB forums, how many members, posts and threads do your forums have?
Pages: 1 2