MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: rel=canonical
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This was just released as a new standard by the three big SEOs.

MyBB SEO efforts would be GREATLY improved if someone released a plugin that automatically did this, or if the new version of MyBB had this built in.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.c...nical.html
Very interesting, and yes, this would be great integration as a MyBB plugin or eventual core feature. In webmaster tools I keep getting duplicate content notices because of different forum display parameters.
Zash,

Exactly. This would pretty much solve most of the problems with MyBB and SEO (even though the URLs are now SEO compliant).

Here is how I would see it working:

Main Thread: Link ref would be the main page
Page 2 of thread: Link ref would be page 2
etc

This would strip all sessions, various URLs, etc so many more pages would get indexed.
I am probably going to do this to my forums via the HTML templates today or tomorrow, it shouldn't be too hard.
I am going to look deeper into this.
(2009-02-16, 11:04 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I am going to look deeper into this.

Awesome! Please let us know what you find. Thanks!
Is this/will it be something in Google Webmasters that we can set??
(2009-02-17, 11:51 AM)MattR Wrote: [ -> ]Is this/will it be something in Google Webmasters that we can set??
No, I think it is just another HTML standard like the nofollow attribute.
It's not really an HTML standard, it's like a microformat to HTML.
For a forum, you'd probably just need to have something like this in your showthread template:
<link rel="canonical" href="{$mybb->settings['bburl']}/showthread.php?tid={$thread['tid']}&amp;page={$page}" />
(not sure if the above is correct, just posting off the top of my head)
showthread would be the most important. I guess you could do it to other places, but I doubt it'd be as important.
Pages: 1 2