MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Multiple Database for a Single Forum?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, I am the webmaster for a small organization, and to my surprise(or horror Wink ) the host for the website only allows MySQL databases with a maximum of 100 Mb of space.

We haven't hit that cap on space yet, but I'm worried about the future.

Paying separately for a MySQL host with more space is not an option, unfortunately.

So, I can create up to 10 MySQL databases that each have a 100 Mb cap... and I've already contacted their support staff and they told me that there was no way for me to just get a single database with a gigabyte of space.

Now... is there any way for MyBB to use multiple databases for the same forum? I'm thinking that I would just make 9 more databases, and it would somehow start using those when the first one gets full.

I'm using the latest version of MyBB, and I've been searching everywhere for how I could potentially do this. I'm at a loss... so I decided to ask here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... thanks! Smile
I can't give you any specific information on how to do this as I haven't tried myself. However I can give you some advice on keeping your database size small, including regularly pruning admin and moderator logs, removing any unused themes and templates. Also, once in a while optimize your database.
The only thing I can think of that is documented is here:

http://blog.mybboard.net/2008/03/18/mybb...ew-part-3/

Lower down is the Technical Decisions, where it explains master/slave databases.
^ I don't really think that's what he wants. He wants to spread the space usage across a number of databases - MySQL replication is designed to spread load across a number of computers (for extremely large forums).

I recommend what DennisTT suggested. 100MB is quite a lot of space for a MyBB forum. Chances are, if you're getting close to the limit, your host probably doesn't provide enough resources elsewhere (ie CPU/memory limits for your shared server), and by that time, it might be a good idea to search for a new host.
Unfortunately, database management systems were never really designed to be split across a number of databases, so doing this is pretty much impossible.
Thank you everyone for your replies.... Smile

You were correct, Yumi, I wanted to make two separate databases act as one virtual database that would be the size of both of them together.

I've been searching, but I still haven't found anything yet.