MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Managing Online Forums
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has anyone got the book Managing Online Forums by Patrick O'Keefe? It is a really good book to have if your a forum admin. I just wanted to plug it and ask if anyone else has it and what do they think about it?

http://www.managingonlineforums.com/
I've actually never heard of it. Is it available on Amazon?

Link to Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...roggycom00
It is a really good book. I recommend it to everyone, if I may plug a link from my own forum, I interviewed the author: http://www.adminquest.com/forum/intervie...t-708.html
I saw it in Barnes and Nobles about a year ago. It's well written, but it is for newbies. It is basically a book that is for people that have no experience in forums, and want to start some.

And the only forum softwares it mentions are phpBB and vBulletin Toungue
Hey all,

My name is Patrick O'Keefe and I wrote "Managing Online Forums." It's nice to meet you.

Thanks so much for mentioning the book, Shawn. I really appreciate it. Smile I feel like I should clarify that it's not a software book, but a management book - it's about the people aspects of online community. I mention phpBB and vBulletin in passing in an early section. The book was written for administrators of any forum software and it remains independent throughout virtually the entire book. It was written for people running phpBB, vBulletin, MyBB, Vanilla, bbPress, Invision or anything else. I wanted to steer clear of that discussion. If you've ever seen me comment on "best forum software" threads, you'll know that I always say that there is no best and that there are plenty of capable solutions out there. MyBB included. Smile

I totally respect your opinion, Zash, and am really pleased that you felt it was well written. I would love to hear more of your thoughts if you did end up reading the book at some point.

Personally, I didn't write the book for newbies or for veterans, but for everyone wishes to make use of it. I put everything in the book that I have dealt with in my 9 years of community management. From the smallest issues to the biggest I didn't hold anything back. I feel like, for people who are new to the craft, the book represents an 8 or 9 year leg up, experience wise, allowing them to more confidently tackle the challenges that await.

And for veterans who have a tremendous amount of experience, I feel that it's a viable addition to that awesome knowledge or, at least, something to think about. I know, me personally, I never stop learning. I learn from every situation and everything community administrator I come in contact with. So, it was truly my hope to offer something of value to administrators in general, regardless of their experience, and I have been deeply humbled by the praise I have received from social media veterans and experienced community administrators.

If anyone has any questions about the book, I'd be glad to answer them. Thanks again for bringing it up.

Sincerely,

Patrick
To be honest, I think a lot of people posting here could learn something from this book. There's lots of people making boards with no real goal or intent in mind ...

I don't really feel I need this, but I think I would enjoy reading it. I'll probably check it out sometime.
I been running forums over 5 years now (off and on) and I learned new things in the book, mainly involving the making money part which I never really paid much attention to until now but let me note that, that is not why I am into forums, the main reason is its a hobby and I like making new friends Smile
Thanks Bey Brad and kruzzen. I appreciate it. Smile

To be honest, Bey Brad, you absolutely don't need the book. I don't think anyone needs a book to learn how to manage an online community. After all, I didn't have one. Smile I think it can be beneficial, but no one needs it. If you do end up checking it out, please let me know what your thoughts are as I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again,

Patrick
Just an awesome book. This will help beginners out quite a lot. Running a forum is much harder than it looks, especially once you get it to a very large level of members.
Thanks so much, RenegadeFan. That means a lot.

Patrick
Pages: 1 2 3