MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [B] View unread posts bug
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In continuation of this thread:
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-45280-page-1.html

Here are some reproducing instructions:

Firstly, disable the post merging option in the ACP.
Now, create another user on your testboard, you should have at least 2 users registered now.

Create a new thread with the first user and log out/login with the other user and post in that thread 2-3 posts. Log out of that account and login to the previous account. Do not visit the posted thread for a week or so and do not mark the forums as read.

After the week has passed, visit the forum the thread is located in and click on the arrow ([Image: jump.gif]) located to the left of the thread title.

You've probably noticed it has taken you to the first post of the thread instead of the first unread.
Best Regards.
Well in that case, that is default functionality. The threadsread table is trimmed based on the thread read cutoff setting. It gets when you last read the thread from the threadsread table.

Therefore, if the record doesn't exist, it can't tell. Unless there is some magical way to recall it from the dead
I definitely thought it was designed this way, but maybe extending the time frame before cut off a bit as it is quite short at the moment.
(2009-02-21, 06:16 AM)Rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]I definitely thought it was designed this way, but maybe extending the time frame before cut off a bit as it is quite short at the moment.

That would be bad for larger sized forums and lower sized forums won't usually need anything more then that anyway.
(2009-02-21, 06:23 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-21, 06:16 AM)Rcpalace Wrote: [ -> ]I definitely thought it was designed this way, but maybe extending the time frame before cut off a bit as it is quite short at the moment.

That would be bad for larger sized forums and lower sized forums won't usually need anything more then that anyway.

Well, I certainly find it annoying. :\ Users are always encouraged to post in old threads rather than make new ones, and I'd like to be able to skip to the first unread post rather than the first post in the thread. I want to extend this, and I'm probably not the only one, so you shouldn't speak for those forum owners ...
(2009-02-21, 06:39 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-21, 06:23 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]

Well, I certainly find it annoying. :\ Users are always encouraged to post in old threads rather than make new ones, and I'd like to be able to skip to the first unread post rather than the first post in the thread. I want to extend this, and I'm probably not the only one, so you shouldn't speak for those forum owners ...

It's making an informed decision based upon the performance toll it would take on a decent sized forum versus usability
So is there a way to lengthen this cutoff setting? Is it this:

Read Threads in Database (Days)
The number of days that you wish to keep thread read information in the database. For large boards, we do not recommend a high number as the board will become slower. Set to 0 to disable.
Correct
The description is a bit vague. What constitutes a large board? What constitutes a high number? I'd like to set it as high as possible without hurting my site.
A setting like Bey Brad explained sounds nice for the ACP. Maybe you should suggest it in the suggestions forums Bey Brad. Smile
Pages: 1 2