MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: A site for MyBB developers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been having some questions lately about coding plugins and was wondering if there's a site that other plugin developers tend to use? I'm still new to coding for MyBB so I'm hoping to find a place where I can get some answers to my various "simple" questions. Big Grin

And please don't joke by saying "www.mybboard.net". Toungue
What is wrong with asking here? There are even forums here dedicated to developers and theme creators asking questions..
Asking is easy, getting a reply is not. Sad And short of PMing developers randomly or offering money I can't think of many ways to go about getting my questions answered. So far out of the 2 problems I've had I was able to figure the first out by myself but the 2nd has me completely stumped. Sad
What makes you think that getting a reply anywhere else will be easier?

Well the only places I can think of is MyBB Central, Learn MyBB.. I can't even think of any others off the top of my head.
If the site is dedicated to developers then the odds of receiving an answer will be greater. That's why I'm trying to find out if there is a site dedicated to MyBB developers or atleast run by a developer who doesn't mind being asked questions. I'm pretty new to coding MyBB plugins so I'll probably have quite a few questions so my goal is to find answers without bothering people. Big Grin
The chances of someone starting a site that is dedicated to only MyBB plugin developers is low due to the (probable) lack of interest, community size and community activity. Even if it was to become popular, I really doubt that one person would really enjoy answering a bunch of questions about how to do something useless (that 9 times out of 10 they only want because they saw it at another forum on another forum system).

That's probably why MyBB Fans failed. They didn't quite have anything different to offer, other than their contests which went well, but when they were over they died.
MyBB Central lives on because of their unique plugins, and I'm not sure what Learn MyBB has - but I think Matt is quite dedicated to tutorials and answering, or trying to answer, every question posted.
(2009-02-27, 08:35 AM)Ryan Loos Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what Learn MyBB has - but I think Matt is quite dedicated to tutorials and answering, or trying to answer, every question posted.

I've been meaning to speak to Matt about LearnMyBB... maybe it's about time for me to actually go and sign up... Rolleyes

I don't mind providing support for plugins and development, and as soon as I get some of these new projects out of the way I'll have more time to answer questions... in the mean time KuJoe I'll try and answer more questions Toungue
LearnMyBB looked promising but then I noticed they have a plugin in place that forces you to click links that lead to advertisements. I got a message stating "The management wants you to view this thread before proceeding." and when you click on the link to the "thread" it directs you to an advertisement, that kind of trickery doesn't sit well with me at all, especially since I'm at work now and that advertisement could have been anything. Sad

And Tomm-, thank you for the offer. As I said I don't want people to go out of their way to answer questions or even do so thinking they need to. But any help you can offer is appreciated. Wink
Oh, and MyBBCentral was my first thought but Labrocca is always busy with his many projects (both MyBB and non-MyBB related) so I felt it unfair to post my questions on his site since it would pretty much be directed towards him and not a group of people if you get what I'm saying. Wink
(2009-02-27, 08:58 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]And Tomm-, thank you for the offer. As I said I don't want people to go out of their way to answer questions or even do so thinking they need to. But any help you can offer is appreciated. Wink
In my opinion, anyone who regulars a forum to answer questions is going out of their way.

Setting up another forum for this sole purpose only makes it more 'out of the way' than those who would regular the MyBB forums anyway.
True, considering that all of the staff here are offering their time without compensation I don't even expect you to bother with questions not relating to MyBB's default code and features. And the fact that I don't want to contact other developers directly is a catch 22 for me. I just wish I understood how the hook system and MyBB system worked better since the PHP answers I can get anywhere else. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2