MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Update notice on index
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've just had an idea. Right now the cache for the ACP version check expires every 2 weeks, yeah?? Well, what if somebody doesn't really check here, only check that, and when it says to check it (i.e. every 2 weeks), they could check it one day, and then the next day a major update could be released and they wouldn't know for 2 weeks. How hard would it be to use the version check code, and add a message to the index, showing to the admin, when their version si out of date?? Would it be possible to have it show as soon as the update it released, or would it reply on the version check cache still??

If it wouldn't be that complicated, I may consider doing it.
Why not just make a task that, if the last check if over two weeks, it automatically does the version check...?...

You could make like a 'security plugin' if you found enough stuff to add into it...
Interesting, I can reply to this thread now (getting Invalid Forum errors before, interesting).

Anyways, the MyBB server can't push data onto yours. Thus you need to resort to polling. In fact, this is what's done in practically every app which checks for updates, including Windows updates and Linux repository systems.
You can change the nature of the polling, if that's what you want...