MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Multi-paging for Threaded mode
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
For excessively long threads (ie 1000+ posts) this can be helpful for a number of reasons (eg server load).

Example (don't click if you think your connection/computer can't handle it):
http://community.mybboard.net/showthread...&tid=31189

Multi-paging can be implemented somewhat similarly to how the linear mode works, except you don't actually generate the posts, but just a post box. The main difficulty would be getting the reply depth right.

Somewhat a similar idea, though maybe a little excessive, but a limit to the number of posts per thread, selectable in the AdminCP. Reason for this is that MySQL can be very slow when querying with large LIMIT values (I think sorting also plays a role in this). You'll probably start to notice the MySQL server slowing the system when you get past around 10,000 to 50,000 posts in a thread (and viewing the last page) depending on your system's capability.
better idea: get rid of threaded mode
(2009-02-27, 10:54 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]better idea: get rid of threaded mode

Threaded mode is sometimes useful and I've been using it in the past couple of days on other boards. Getting rid of it would be getting rid of a good feature. Yes, I might of change my views from the other thread, but ever since I started using it, I'm loving it. Toungue
That page took me almost 20 seconds to loadConfused But it didn't freeze my laptop, and kept chugging right through and showing what it had to show - but that has to be so server-intensive.. I don't use threaded mode on any forums except my own because of 2 reasons: A) mine's at the top, B) I have it set to 215px and overflow: auto;.
We will actually probably be getting rid of threaded mode in a future release. There just isn't really enough people using it and it isn't that great anyway to justify keeping it and maintaining that piece of code.
Threaded mode makes sense only if the forum uses it exclusively (i.e. everyone uses it). I only know of one forum that does this and gets away with it (>100 users >2000 postings per day). Otherwise everyone will just use quick reply or reply to the last posting, resulting in a flat structure that makes the threaded mode completely useless.
(2009-02-27, 07:19 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Threaded mode makes sense only if the forum uses it exclusively (i.e. everyone uses it). I only know of one forum that does this and gets away with it (>100 users >2000 postings per day). Otherwise everyone will just use quick reply or reply to the last posting, resulting in a flat structure that makes the threaded mode completely useless.

This x1000. Threaded mode is useless if it's used this way.
(2009-02-27, 05:43 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]We will actually probably be getting rid of threaded mode in a future release. There just isn't really enough people using it and it isn't that great anyway to justify keeping it and maintaining that piece of code.
I hope not!Confused

Threaded mode is a good way to view the dialogue's structure. With thread view box (similar to Tree in data structure), ones could easily understand the relationship in threads. The relationship in threaded mode could be meaningful but complicated and sophisticated. In other words, with proper use and design, the threaded mode will show you the "metadata" that reflect something important to connect each thread.

The main difference I think of between flat and thread mode is that the flat mode is time serial while thread mode is content hierarchy. Let's think about daily talk in real life. Most of time, we review things by time and we found it useful to get the whole picture. But sometimes we also want to review things by their relationships, such as correlation, independence, or causal effects. So is the forum talk. The difference is not only the display, but also the intention, spirit and philosophy.

To choose flat or thread depends on the nature of the dialogue type (time sensitive or not), what users want to know, and what the developer want to show. Let's assume that there're many kinds of cases. Flat fits some and thread fit some others. So it just depends on what case you're involved in. Nobody can conclude that the flat one is a total solution for all cases. If there're indeed so many bad comments about threaded mode, in my opinion, it's not the threaded mode itself to blame, but the user who adopt it in an unsuitable case. Of course they can be compared and valued, but be sure that if they are standing on the same ground when measuring, and don't forget if there're other cases.

To sum up, thread mode could be powerful and useful with good approach and design. The potential benefits of thread mode can't be ignored although the amount of users who speak for threaded mode is not significant yet.
(2009-03-07, 04:27 AM)tomin Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-02-27, 05:43 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]We will actually probably be getting rid of threaded mode in a future release. There just isn't really enough people using it and it isn't that great anyway to justify keeping it and maintaining that piece of code.
I hope not!Confused

Threaded mode is a good way to view the dialogue's structure. With thread view box (similar to Tree in data structure), ones could easily understand the relationship in threads. The relationship in threaded mode could be meaningful but complicated and sophisticated. In other words, with proper use and design, the threaded mode will show you the "metadata" that reflect something important to connect each thread.

The main difference I think of between flat and thread mode is that the flat mode is time serial while thread mode is content hierarchy. Let's think about daily talk in real life. Most of time, we review things by time and we found it useful to get the whole picture. But sometimes we also want to review things by their relationships, such as correlation, independence, or causal effects. So is the forum talk. The difference is not only the display, but also the intention, spirit and philosophy.

To choose flat or thread depends on the nature of the dialogue type (time sensitive or not), what users want to know, and what the developer want to show. Let's assume that there're many kinds of cases. Flat fits some and thread fit some others. So it just depends on what case you're involved in. Nobody can conclude that the flat one is a total solution for all cases. If there're indeed so many bad comments about threaded mode, in my opinion, it's not the threaded mode itself to blame, but the user who adopt it in an unsuitable case. Of course they can be compared and valued, but be sure that if they are standing on the same ground when measuring, and don't forget if there're other cases.

To sum up, thread mode could be powerful and useful with good approach and design. The potential benefits of thread mode can't be ignored although the amount of users who speak for threaded mode is not significant yet.

Who really needs to view a "thread hierarchy" to tell who replied to who? And what do you really gain about looking at a list of links that say the same thing but with "RE:" appended to it? It's all cons.

Not to mention, the hierarchy is not and can not ever be accurate because it relies on the posters themselves to choose if they're going to use the "reply" button or just normally reply.

The feature is simply under used by the general population and to upgrade it is too much of an investment for the little amount of popularity it will gain in the long run.

I'm sure it has great potential as a plugin, but as a standard feature in MyBB, it just lacks "need".
(2009-03-07, 04:50 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-03-07, 04:27 AM)tomin Wrote: [ -> ]
I hope not!Confused

Who really needs to view a "thread hierarchy" to tell who replied to who? And what do you really gain about looking at a list of links that say the same thing but with "RE:" appended to it? It's all cons.

Not to mention, the hierarchy is not and can not ever be accurate because it relies on the posters themselves to choose if they're going to use the "reply" button or just normally reply.

The feature is simply under used by the general population and to upgrade it is too much of an investment for the little amount of popularity it will gain in the long run.

I'm sure it has great potential as a plugin, but as a standard feature in MyBB, it just lacks "need".
Maybe make a plugin for it and include it when MyBB is downloaded?
Pages: 1 2