MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Migrated from VB 3.7 ... need help finding features ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, been lurking awhile now - did a bunch of searching here and on Google, trying to recreate some of the features found in VB that I just KNOW have to be somewhere in myBB, and my newbieness just doesn't know how to do it.

Forgive me if these features do NOT exist (I'm not trying to get around posting in the Feature Request - if they don't, I'll post there). Funny, I didn't even know about some of these features in VB - my users had to tell me ...

Standard deal - using the latest version of MyBB - did migrate from VB using the latest migration tool (worked good with the exception of avatars and a couple of minor group permissions - oh, and it lost all the forum Titles and Descriptions heh). But, the users and messages weren't lost - the rest was just easy to recreate.

Here we go ...

IGNORE LIST
When putting someone on your IGNORE list, indeed posts from that person are filtered out. However, if you look at NEW POSTS, threads started by that ignored user are still displayed. If a user is ignored, shouldn't these be filtered as well? Did I miss a setting?

THREAD SORTING
One of my users complained that they can no longer view threads from newest to oldest vice the current oldest to newest. I didn't even know you could do that in VB ... and I've done some digging and search, but can't figure out how to make that happen here.

WYSIWYG EDITOR
I don't want to start some sort of MYCODE vs WYSIWYG flamewar here, but most modern forums have this available - at least as an option. I have seen some "hacked in" solutions for shoving something like TinyMCE etc into the forums, but I feel that's asking for trouble. Is there a WYSIWYG editor in here I can't find or turn on? If not, is there a milestone on the roadmap where this might become available officially?

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
My users are accustomed to selecting text and hitting CTRL-I, CTRL-B, etc for formatting text in the editor. Am I missing this feature in the existing editor?

POPUP NOTIFICATION
Some of my users like the javascript pop up alert when they have a new PM (vice the yellow notification at the top - which I actually prefer myself). Is there an option to turn on an option like this?

Finally, thanks for a great forum package. I used to run phpBB ages ago, didn't find it robust enough - then bought into VB (which apparently drags my hosts' resources to the ground - it was get rid of it, or get a new host - which wasn't looking good). This has been the best of all worlds (with the minor user gripes above).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ignore list - No comment on that one, not really sure.

Thread sorting - Does it not show newer to older now?? If you click last Post on the forum display, it changes the order. There should be an ACP setting to set it for guests and new users.

WYSIWYG - May be considered for a much later version.

Shortcuts - Sounds like a feature of the WYSIWYG, but no, you can't do that. You can just highlight and click a button though.

Popup - It was removed in 1.4 as not many people liked it.
(2009-02-27, 06:17 PM)Shane R. Monroe Wrote: [ -> ]IGNORE LIST
When putting someone on your IGNORE list, indeed posts from that person are filtered out. However, if you look at NEW POSTS, threads started by that ignored user are still displayed. If a user is ignored, shouldn't these be filtered as well? Did I miss a setting?

THREAD SORTING
One of my users complained that they can no longer view threads from newest to oldest vice the current oldest to newest. I didn't even know you could do that in VB ... and I've done some digging and search, but can't figure out how to make that happen here.

WYSIWYG EDITOR
I don't want to start some sort of MYCODE vs WYSIWYG flamewar here, but most modern forums have this available - at least as an option. I have seen some "hacked in" solutions for shoving something like TinyMCE etc into the forums, but I feel that's asking for trouble. Is there a WYSIWYG editor in here I can't find or turn on? If not, is there a milestone on the roadmap where this might become available officially?

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS
My users are accustomed to selecting text and hitting CTRL-I, CTRL-B, etc for formatting text in the editor. Am I missing this feature in the existing editor?

POPUP NOTIFICATION
Some of my users like the javascript pop up alert when they have a new PM (vice the yellow notification at the top - which I actually prefer myself). Is there an option to turn on an option like this?
IGNORE USER - I don't think it should filter threads started/posted by X ignored user. Maybe make a suggestion for it though.

KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS - As far as I know, there's not any keyboard shortcuts for the editor. I could be wrong..

POPUP NOTIFICATION - There used to be an option for a popup alert, but it appears to have been removed. Now it just shows in a yellow box saying that you have a new private message.

Kind Regards,
Tom Loveric
(2009-02-27, 06:21 PM)Mattalan Wrote: [ -> ]Thread sorting - Does it not show newer to older now?? If you click last Post on the forum display, it changes the order. There should be an ACP setting to set it for guests and new users.

I'm sorry, I might have used the wrong term .. I meant POST sorting. So when you go into Thread X, the latest message appears first, then the next newest and so on.

Quote:WYSIWYG - May be considered for a much later version.

I figured that was the case ... thank you.

Quote:Shortcuts - Sounds like a feature of the WYSIWYG, but no, you can't do that. You can just highlight and click a button though.

I'm an old Amiga user - I prefer everything with a mouse. I never suffered through DOS days when people used the keyboard for everything! Thanks.

Quote:Popup - It was removed in 1.4 as not many people liked it.

Figures ... Maybe I can get a mod for it ...

Thanks again for the reply!
(2009-02-27, 06:22 PM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]IGNORE USER - I don't think it should filter threads started/posted by X ignored user. Maybe make a suggestion for it though.

The problem really relates back to the RSS plugin that allows an RSS feed to send it's posts to a designated forum thread. Some people love it, some people don't want NEW POSTS littered with 60 "RSS Updates" when there is a busy day.

I guess I'll turn it off for now until I can find a way around it.

Thanks!