MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Uploading smileys for dummies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

I need some very simple instructions (computer dum-dum here) as to how to upload smileys. I went to photobucket and found some, copied the direct link, example:

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc141...inking.gif"

and went to admin cp>add smiley. It uploaded fine, shows up in the smiley list and everything, but when I use it in a post, it shows only a box with a red x in it.

Any help would be appreciated.
You have to upload them to your FTP server, then the images directory.
That's the only way, I think.
Yes, dont try to hotlink (steal bandwidth) from another site, I dont think photobucket even allows direct hotlinking.

Upload your smilies to images/smilies

Go to Configuration in Admin CP and click Smilies in the left column then click Add New Smilie and fill in the blanks. It is really easy to do.
It's also much easier is you do them in one folder and do a mass import, if you have multiple images.
(2009-02-28, 04:11 AM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]It's also much easier is you do them in one folder and do a mass import, if you have multiple images.

Yes you are right, I should have included that in my reply
(2009-02-28, 02:54 AM)kentuckyslone Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, dont try to hotlink (steal bandwidth) from another site, photobucket doesnt even allow direct hotlinking.

yes they do Huh
You simply upload them to ./images/smilies/ and then import them in the ACP.
(2009-02-28, 09:45 AM)Mattalan Wrote: [ -> ]You simply upload them to ./images/smilies/ and then import them in the ACP.

Thank you so much! If I could just bother you a bit more, could you please be very specific (in dummy language Toungue ) in telling me *how* to upload them to ./images/smilies/? Does it involve the FTP server and if so, how do I get there?
Yeah you'll need FTP. Basically, do it in the same was as you uploaded your MyBB files. You can either zip all the smilies up, upload that and then extract it, or just upload each image separately.
Ok, finally got around to messing with this - Dodgy

Went to FTP, found public_html, and then images, but no smiley folder under images. I created a smiley folder (maybe I did it wrong?) and then uploaded my smileys there. On mybb, though, they are coming through as little boxes with a red x. I did ./images/Smileys/nameofsmiley.gif, and then I tried just images/Smileys/nameofsmiley.gif in admin cp. Neiather is working. Any clues?
Hosting site says to upload smileys to public_htlm/smfford/smilies. I did this and the pics do show up on the smilies listing in mybb, but when I put one in a post, it is a box with an x in it.

Can someone help me?
Pages: 1 2