MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Getting rid of it all
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I get rid of the following (view the atached gif).

1. I don't need these two columns. people can tell if the topic has new replies by looking at the reply count. They can tell if it's a hot topic the same way.

2. These two columns (views and ratings) are useful but not on my board. My members don't ever rate topics and they really don'tr need to know how many views a topic has. It's useful but not necessary. I'm trying to streamline.

3. Also a useful feature if you actually use it. I've noticed that most people who come to a board use the the board the way it's setup by default, they get used to the way that is. So I'd like to ditch these as well.

4. Without the first two columns existing there is no reason to tell people what the icons stand for. The forum jump also doesn't matter to me because my board is a single forum. Although the search field is handy it's redundant since there is already a search link at the top that will take you to a page with more search options.

5. I don't know if this shows up just for me or for everyone, but either way I don't know what any of it means and my members don't need to know. It's just more distraction for the eye.

My goal is to streamline my board and take out the stuff that is distracting and doesn't have much of a purpose. I want the eye to focus on the content and not all the little icons and statistics and everything like that. Just the bare essentials.

Thank you
I can only answer your last question:
only you ( and other admins) see it
I removed/rearranged quite a lot of stuff for my forums, and the only real way to do it is to go directly into the templates and quite literally remove the bits you don't want. Obviously, some knowledge of table editing will be necessary for this.

There is also the option of simply commenting out the bits of the template you don't want so that they're not rendered by the browser (eg: <!-- this will not appear to the user, it will simply remain in the source -->), but that can be a bit hit-and-miss since Internet Explorer likes to sometimes render parts of more complex commented-out html.

Edit: On a side-note, whilst I can understand your removal of a lot of things, removing #3 is a bit dubious. Lots of people, me included, sometimes use them to get a look at older posts on forums where I'm not registered and the default cutoff isn't set to 'the beginning'. If you have it set to that by default then that's fine, but if not.. yeah.
Excellent. I like your setup. Is there anyway I can get your templates so I don't have to do them all from scratch myself?

Yes by default I would have the forum set to all posts from the begining. I don't like pruning.
There's not really any way to use my templates on another theme since I used inline style tags for pretty much everything (ie: editing via the style panel will do little to affect the overall design), and because the changes were so extensive (and also because I'm anal) there's hardly any piece of template which hasn't been specifically modified.

Plus, it look a hell of a long time and I am slightly protective over it! By all means have a look in the source to see how the tables link together if you're not too sure on your table html skills, though.
i like the idea of trimming down the forums to a bare minimum, it would fit in well with my new look site as my forums are a sidebar to the site and not an integeral core eliment. if i could rip out the extra twiddly bits then it would all fit into my page... anyone worked out a tutorial on this yet or better yet added <!-- comments --> to identify parts of the code that can be dumped to drop collums etc.

any one up for that?

Mouse