MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: "Server" help..
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think I might have asked this before, but I'm not sure; so here goes..Toungue

I currently have XAMPP installed, and it works fine. But what I want to do is make it so that when I go to MYIP:80(port 80) it will show my websites main folder(C:/xampp/htdocs/). Can someone tell me how to do this? Would it need to be done via my wireless router(Linksys)? Or would I need to edit httpd.conf and change it from localhost to my IP, for the one setting that seeks the document folder?
I dont understand, if its not showing your default folder then what is it showing?
If its showing a browser error page then your firewall is probably blocking you.
(2009-03-01, 10:06 PM)MiNT Wrote: [ -> ]I dont understand, if its not showing your default folder then what is it showing?
If its showing a browser error page then your firewall is probably blocking you.
You're not understanding me. I'm asking how to set it up so that it will show something besides an error. The error is because I don't even know how to set it up right now..
(2009-03-01, 10:10 PM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]You're not understanding me.
Yes i thought as much!

(2009-03-01, 10:10 PM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]I'm asking how to set it up so that it will show something besides an error. The error is because I don't even know how to set it up right now..
The default behaviour for normal regular apache when you install it without these odd windows packages is to give you access to /var/www (dont know it for windows) on 127.0.0.1:80 and any local networks the PC is connected to on their respective address, port 80. Your post asked how to make apache show you your site when you entered <myip>:80. It sounded like you meant from localhost. This didn't make much sense so I assumed you meant from a pc on your lan. Do you mean over the internet from the WAN connection to your network?
If so you'll need to set up port forwarding in your router.

Details are key to fixing this for you Toungue
Okay, this is what I want to do:
- Be able to access the htdocs directory(C:/xampp/htdocs/) from <myip>:80
- Have other people be able to access it from, again, <myip>:80

And yes, I know if I do that it will open my computer to risks..But who's going to bother to look up my IP?Toungue I just want to do it so I can have my parents see my website without needing to upload it to my actual website(elite-area.com) and configure it and import all the MySQL data, etc.
From where? the internet or your own lan? Whilst we're at it, what's this error message?
Either.. It just says "Server Not Found" and then can't find the server at <myip>
It sounds like you need to forward the external port 80 to your computer. log into your router and find "port forwarding". Enter "80" in the fields asking for port numbers (there should be two) and enter the local ip address of your computer in the ip field. You can find your local IP address by opening a command prompt on your computer and issuing the command "ipconfig".
But that won't help since it won't be reading from the c:/xampp/htdocs directory..
(2009-03-02, 01:11 AM)Tom Loveric Wrote: [ -> ]But that won't help since it won't be reading from the c:/xampp/htdocs directory..
What?

Anyway, if you haven't edit httpd.conf to ensure that Apache is listening on the correct interfaces. If you need to change the server root path, you can do so in httpd.conf.
Pages: 1 2