MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [B] Emoticon Problem with Emos ending with ":"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

In my Forums, there is a smileybug which prevents emoticons with a ":" at the end from being parsed, when there is another letter following.

So if I use Huh for example and combine it with another word it isn't parsed any more ... like wanted to ad a Huhto the topic.

This works here, but not on my forums, where could I search for the problem?

Thx a lot!
FraGe
upppps, it doesn't work either.

So it's a Bug!

But in another Thread I tried it with HuhT there it works ....
some weird problem with the parser perhaps?

HuhI Huhi HuhT HuhTO
Huht Huhto :testtestHuhtestHuhnotestHuhtest

whatelse?
This is a limitation. Simply put a space in between the word and the smilie.
uhm, It wasn't like this in former versions so we have multiple Emoticons in a lot of threads which are not parsed right now.

But ok, for everything new, I can manage this.

To be honest, I don't understand the term "limitation" (although it's the same in german Wink) does it mean, that it's a feature, not a bug, or that the problem is known, but that theres no solution, or is there still another option? Smile

thx!
To explain, the problem is known but there isn't really an easy way to fix it. I'm not really 100% sure, but I think it's an issue with speed - if the parser checked every word in the post for smilies that were connected to words it would just take far too long...

The only (easy) option is place a space between the word and smilie.
In the English language, and most other languages, words are separated by a space. A smilie and a word coupled together is incorrect. Therefore, MyBB cannot read your mind to know what you meant. Perhaps you didn't mean it to be an emoticon either.

Either way, it is possible for a human to use the quick edit to add a space if that is what the person wanted. For MyBB it is not possible to know what the person wanted.
Excuse me Ryan, but if a : and a word coupled together is incorrect, this should be a prrof for the parser, that it _is_ a smiley. Because it can't be a word with a : in it, just because there is no such word. For me, this would be a reason to add this to the parser.

If it's just for speed reasons, I am willing to learn Smile
As you said, whenever I see a misstyped emo, I use the quickedit on my board, thats ok, I just wanted to state, that this problem exists, ok?

greetings,
FraGe
ugh just put a space in
(2009-03-19, 09:41 AM)FraGe Wrote: [ -> ]Excuse me Ryan, but if a : and a word coupled together is incorrect, this should be a prrof for the parser, that it _is_ a smiley. Because it can't be a word with a : in it, just because there is no such word. For me, this would be a reason to add this to the parser.

What if I were to link to this page in the wiki? [Wiki: Plugins:Globals] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)
Or type in http://www.google.com?

It's easier to type in a space rather than let the parser clean your input.
I don't want to gripe about the bug/feature, it's just that I wanted to make myself clear.

Everything ok, forget about it Smile
If we set a colon next to a word or so like such:, then if this h: was a smiley, it would have ruined my word.
Pages: 1 2