MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mandrivia help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well.... i was going through old issue of LPM and i found this disk. not looking closly i installed it on my old semi good machine. now when i start in a linux partition it won't let boot from windows. when i try to use any disk on startup it fail and doesn't let hte mouse move. is this a bios issue or what? is there any self destruct code for linux?
Does it say anything when it failes?

You could try getting an XP disk and getting command prompt and running fixmbr (check exactly how to use that command) and try running some of the other repair tools.

If worse comes to worse i would reconmend booting to a partition editor, deleting the linux partition then running fixmbr and i think that will fix it. <---Can any other members give me feedback on that, im pretty sure it will work.

If worse comes to worse you could boot into a linux live CD and copy all your files onto an external hard drive and retore your computer to its factory state (Note: You may still need to run fixmbr at the end of this, i had to do this after restoring a computer to factory after having linux on it)
(2009-03-06, 10:47 PM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Does it say anything when it failes?

You could try getting an XP disk and getting command prompt and running fixmbr (check exactly how to use that command) and try running some of the other repair tools.

If worse comes to worse i would reconmend booting to a partition editor, deleting the linux partition then running fixmbr and i think that will fix it. <---Can any other members give me feedback on that, im pretty sure it will work.

If worse comes to worse you could boot into a linux live CD and copy all your files onto an external hard drive and retore your computer to its factory state (Note: You may still need to run fixmbr at the end of this, i had to do this after restoring a computer to factory after having linux on it)

Here is my issue, nothing works before i get to the logon screen, after the bios start page (like info at the begining) nothing works. keybored or mouse. and fixmbr will do it? sweet so what do i need to download?
Well fixmbr fixes the master boot record which is sometimes damaged when installing and uninstalling other operating systems.

Are you running XP? If so you should get a non OEM xp disk and boot to it then press r to enter the recovery console and run all the scans and tools in there then if that dosnt help you can try things like fixmbr in command prompt which is also available in the recovery console.
(2009-03-06, 11:06 PM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]Well fixmbr fixes the master boot record which is sometimes damaged when installing and uninstalling other operating systems.

Are you running XP? If so you should get a non OEM xp disk and boot to it then press r to enter the recovery console and run all the scans and tools in there then if that dosnt help you can try things like fixmbr in command prompt which is also available in the recovery console.

You don't get it. if i run any cd/floppy/usb at start up, the keyboard and mouse don't work.
So you cant press f8 or whatever and select boot from CD?

If thats your problem than i suggest trying to update your bios, if you cant do that then i think your screwed :p
(2009-03-06, 11:16 PM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]So you cant press f8 or whatever and select boot from CD?

If thats your problem than i suggest trying to update your bios, if you cant do that then i think your screwed :p

i can press f8 i get to the install then boom nothin works.

didn't think about updating thanks for the idea.

is there no code to uninstall linux like from a command line?
You normally just delete the partition and repair your mbr.

Read this: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/uninstall.htm

So what happens when you press for example F8 and boot to a CD? Is f8 select boot options on your computer? It may be something else.
(2009-03-06, 11:24 PM)_Tim Wrote: [ -> ]You normally just delete the partition and repair your mbr.

Read this: http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/uninstall.htm

So what happens when you press for example F8 and boot to a CD? Is f8 select boot options on your computer? It may be something else.

I can get to the install screen of whatever i am doing. then the mouse and keyboard fail and it automaticly does things.
Ok, so in bios set-up and boot device selection and OS section does your keyboard work? If it does then you should be able to rule out bios issues.
Pages: 1 2