MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Knowledge needed to make a plugin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering what knowledge i would need to make a plugin ie. PHP, SQL etc?
Depends what you want it to do. If you just need settings, you can look at how other people do it, I'm quite sure it's always done the same way. If you plan to store and retrieve data from the database, you'll need to know the SQL to do that. What do you plan on making??
I do not know yet. I am just interested and am not sure if i have enough knowledge to successfully make one.
I'd say, in general, you should have at minimum, knowledge of HTML, some PHP and have some idea of how MyBB works internally.
Just look at all the parts of a plugin and figure out how it works Smile Learn coding at www.w3schools.com
I know HTML, a little PHP and i am learning more about MyBB everyday. Hope i can make one soon!
Is it harder to make a theme or a plugin?
Usually a theme is easier but if you have a good grip of PHP and how MYBB works and you are not really a creative person then maybe a plugin would be easier.
I have a online live event planned when I get my personal site up. I (and another staff member who might join me) introduce MyBB from beginner to expert. It'll be a live audio screencast with users who can ask questions, chat with each other, etc. I'll do it when I eventually get time to do so. Toungue
I am currently attempting to make a Black and red theme based of MyBB's default theme. So far i am going well!
(2009-03-12, 10:38 AM)Yumi Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say, in general, you should have at minimum, knowledge of HTML, some PHP and have some idea of how MyBB works internally.

By which do you mean source code, or jsut what does what and where?