MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: text autofill disable
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was just trying to merge a user named metalfight with a user named pegasis, but because MyBB decided to automatically fill in the textbox for me I ended up merging with the incorrect user, pegasis1. this field should not fill itself out, it should present a dropdown menu you can choose from; it should not overwrite what you're writing.
I agree with this. Often I'm searching for a user and I'm half way throughy typing and it puts in the name of a user that I don't want. Suggest names, yeah, but don't auto-fill it. Often I finish typing and then it changes to what would have been the first in the list.
Undecided

Don't you just press the "Up" button? I do this on practically every single website that has an autocomplete box and it isn't doing what I want it to do...
Not really, I can just be typing and then it suddenly puts a name into the box, and the list of other choices goes, so I have to delete it and start typing again.

Try starting to type my name in the search box, in the author section, see what happens.
(2009-03-13, 09:29 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Not really, I can just be typing and then it suddenly puts a name into the box, and the list of other choices goes, so I have to delete it and start typing again.

Try starting to type my name in the search box, in the author section, see what happens.

Not too sure about the merge users (don't have access at the moment), but say for example here on MyBB, send a PM. When I type in "Mat" it brings up a few names, and auto-populates the box with some name. If I press the "Up" direction button, it closes the auto-complete box, and no name is entered, and I can carry on typing. Using Opera, so could be a browser thing...
Well, in the search, I typed 'matt' slowly, it then removed the last 't', and suggested one name starting with 'Mat ' (with a space). Whenever I click the scroll bar on the list of names, it closes the list, too. I'll happily video what I mean when I can.
I know what you mean Toungue But when the name auto-populates, press the "Up" button - it removes the text and closes the auto-complete. You use the down button instead of the mouse to select names in the drop-down box.

Granted, it causes confusion... but I thought it was a limitation of Prototype Undecided
(2009-03-13, 09:46 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]press the "Up" button - it removes the text and closes the auto-complete

Not in IE7 it doesn't Toungue
That's kinda why we have a big warning in the tab description
(2009-03-13, 04:36 PM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]That's kinda why we have a big warning in the tab description

I was wondering when someone would say this. I typed "pegasis", I assumed that what I had typed would be what was in the field (which I don't think was an unfair assumption to make), and by the time I had realized what had happened, I pressed the stop button. Unfortunately it was too late and it had already gone through. I understand the function of this is to make it easier and more efficient, but if you actually know how to spell the user's name it's actually less efficient.

Yes, we are warned the merge is permanent. We're not warned that the system may decide to merge with a name we never typed out in the first place. So, I understand the point you're making, but it's a bit patronizing for you to say this in defense of a poor design decision.

Thank God the user I accidentally merged only had five posts.
(2009-03-13, 09:54 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-03-13, 09:46 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]press the "Up" button - it removes the text and closes the auto-complete

Not in IE7 it doesn't Toungue

Or Safari.
Pages: 1 2