MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problems with New Post Indication?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using mybb for about a month now and the one thing which has really been stumping me is how the new posts indication works on every level. For example, on the index page when there is a new post it shows that the particular forum has new posts in it. If you click on the forum it will then show which threads have new posts in it (everything is good so far). Now lets say you click on each of the new threads and read them and then return to the index page. On the index page it will still say that the forum has new posts!!! What is up with that? Is this a bug? No other forum software I have ever used does this. Not even phpbb (which I ) loathe has this issue. When you click on the forum which supposedly has new posts in it there are no new posts since I read them.

Now that problem is midly annoying but it isn't as bad as the following. Lets say you have a bunch of new posts on your board when you refresh it. If you just let the page sit on index for like 30 minutes or so and then refresh it again, it will mark all the new posts as read and you can't find the new posts anymore!

The only way to do it is to click on the view today's posts and figure out which one's you haven't read. This is a huge problem because I keep missing new posts and as a result I am unable to respond to them. I've had countless people PM me reporting it as a bug.

I recall reading issues about new posts on these boards and I can't remember if it was considered a bug or not. I personally do not care if it's a bug but I would really like to know if the system is going to be changed so that it is more user friendly.

Sorry if this comes across as sort of a rant. I really do like the mybb software but this has really been driving me nuts lately (especially since I have no good way to explain to people why the boards do this when they PM me asking me about it).