MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Get 404 error when clicking into a forum.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Dalton's right, I turned the "Hide Private Forums" from Yes to No and all it did was change the top level view so that I saw all the forums but I still couldn't get in to them.

I should also state that I can't get into any of the forums -- the general purpose ones that anyone registered can get into or the private ones that a test user has specific permissions to see.

Now...off to try the change in permissions...
OK, changed the .htaccess file so that it's -rw-rw-rw-, shut down IE, opened a new copy of it, went to my forum, and still can't get into my forums.

Would any of you tech guys be able to gain any insight by looking at the contents of my .htaccess file (or any other file for that matter)?
Why can't you get into any of them?? Just the 404 because of the SEF URLs??
(2009-03-18, 11:42 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Why can't you get into any of them?? Just the 404 because of the SEF URLs??

That's right...if you were to go to http://www.marriedandhappy.com/Forum/ you should see two forums -- one titled Men and another titled Women. These are configured so that even if your an unregistered guest, you're supposed to be able to view them. But, as you would see if you tried to click into either one of them, you get a HTTP 404 Not Found error.

Matt, I really appreciate your help here. I'm sure you've got plenty of other things to do beside mess with this but I still appreciate your help.
I guess for now disable them. Since your forum works then, doesn't it?
(2009-03-19, 12:06 AM)Dalton Wrote: [ -> ]I guess for now disable them. Since your forum works then, doesn't it?

Dodgy I guess it's either that or try yet another forum software.
Have you checked this plugin out?
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-46423.html
Is settings.php CHMOD to 666?? If it is, and you're doing everything right, it's the host that's at fault, not MyBB... SEF URLs aren't the be-all-and-end-all anyway.
(2009-03-19, 08:32 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Is settings.php CHMOD to 666?? If it is, and you're doing everything right, it's the host that's at fault, not MyBB... SEF URLs aren't the be-all-and-end-all anyway.

I don't see a settings.php in my Forum's root directory. Is this ok?

There IS a settings.php in Forum/inc that's set to 666. Is this correct?
Yes, it's in the inc folder. So that's set right, and as long as htaccess.txt is renamed to .htaccess, it's only really the host that can be causing a problem.
(2009-03-19, 04:43 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's in the inc folder. So that's set right, and as long as htaccess.txt is renamed to .htaccess, it's only really the host that can be causing a problem.

Ok, I've decided to just turn off SEF URL's and just go with this software. So far, I'm pleased with everything else.

It is wierd to me though...I have both Blogger and a WordPress blogs running on my host - both of which write out SEF URL's with no problems.

Nevertheless, I appreciate all of you taking the time to help me with this and for all of the suggestions.

And, permit me to make a quick plug...if any of you are married, you're invited to http://www.marriedandhappy.com/Forum
Pages: 1 2 3