MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: email error
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. I just moved mybb to a new webhost, and i encountered a problem. I am not able to send activation email and new post notification via email to users.

I checked the ACP's System Email Log and found that there is an error message on all the emails:

Quote:Unable to connect to the mail server with the given details.<br /><br />-1663558736: Unable to find the socket transport "ssl" - did you forget to enable it when you configured PHP?

I am using SMTP method to send as i am using the Google Apps Domain mail to send my mails to user.

Can anyone tell me how i can solve it on my server side? I'll reflect this to my server admin. Thanks! Wink
The SSL doesn't seem to be configured for your host - just pass this on to your server admin, and they'll know what to do with it; it's not really a problem with MyBB.

For the mean time, you can change the SMTP Encryption Mode in Mail Settings to something your server does support.
(2009-03-18, 04:32 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]For the mean time, you can change the SMTP Encryption Mode in Mail Settings to something your server does support.

I selected "No Encryption" on my Mail Setting. However when i tried creating another account on mybb, mail is still not received and i received a new error message:
Quote:The mail server does not understand the MAIL FROM command

followed by..

Quote:The mail server is not ready, it did not respond with a 220 status message.

What happened this time round? What do you think i should tell my server admin? Thanks! Blush
You should just pass them those error messages - they should know what to do with them and how to fix them.

MyBB's mail functions are setup to send mail through the majority of server setups, unfortunately there isn't a way to guarantee it works on all of them...
unfortunately they never know what happens! the new webhost i subscribed to doesn't know what was going on at all. i've to tell them what happens and google for them some solutions before they start doing something about it.. =(
You could try using Google's SMTP, rather than your webhost's?

Although I'm not too sure whether people have got it working 100%...
i've used Google's SMTP all along. I used it on my old webhost and it works, but nothing works on the new webhost ;(

Any idea what went wrong?
I'm not sure why it would be any different if you're using SMTP... you might have to revert to using PHP Mail if you can't get it working. The only thing I can think of is to test it with your own script, outside of MyBB, to see if it is actually your host - or MyBB - that is causing the problem.

There's a guide to PHP mail in the wiki: [Wiki: Help:Mail] (Broken link, head over to docs.mybb.com instead)