MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Need to install Language packs, but ......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello to all,

I have successfully installed three MyBB forums on my host server.

I need to install language packs which I have downloaded and unzipped.

My issue is when I originally installed the MyBB 1.4.4 software I kept getting an error saying the install directory was still present, so I deleted it, no issues, everything works fine.

Now when I want to install the language packs I must put some files into the Server Install directory and one of it's subfolders. The install directory on the server of course is not present anymore and attempts at putting the Install back onto the server results in an error in that the systems says I cannot have the install directory present.

Question; How do I put back the install directory and keep the install directory without receiving the errors so I can put the necessary languages files into them?

Is there a way to lockout or freeze the install folder? or are there specific files within the install folder that I need to lock or freeze, and if so, how is this done?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

coolcos
Just uploading the language pack as-is to your MyBB folder will work fine. You can safely remove the install folder any time after MyBB has been installed without any consequences - any files in this directory aren't required by default.
Thank you for the quick reply, however, there are specific install directions within the MyBB 1.4.4 language packs (called readme.html) that tell me to copy files here and there and to copy folders, etc.

Is there anyway to automatically install the language packs?

I have posted the text below within that read me file.

Towards the bottom of the installation routine it talks of needing to upload files and folder into the Install directory.

README for the SPANISH LANGUAGE PACK FOR MYBB

This language pack is meant for MyBB 1.4. If you are using a newer version of MyBB then please check if a newer language pack is available. To do so please go to http://www.mybboard.net/ and click Downloads and View a list of MyBB Translations....

CONTENTS

Introduction
Installation
Usage
Additional information
1. INTRODUCTION

You have chosen to use MyBB as the software for your bulletin board. We wish to thank you for that choice and hope you will like our software.

In order to satisfy as many users as possible MyBB is available in a multitude of languages. By default MyBB is installed with the American English language files, but thanks to many volunteers MyBB is also available in other languages. This language pack will allow you to use MyBB in spanish.

2. INSTALLATION

The spanish text is stored in language files, which are packed in an archive file together with this readme and the spanish translation of this readme. These language files are divided amongst several folders. With this package several image files are also distributed. These images contain the spanish translation for the buttons and the usergroup images.

This readme, the spanish readme and a file called espanol.php are in the main folder, the files containing the translations of the text for the front end are in a subfolder called espanol and the files containing the translations of the text for the admin end are in a subfolder called admin in the previously mentioned subfolder espanol. Additionally a folder called images will be present. This folder contains the images with the spanish text.

You will have to create the same folder structure on your server and place the language files in those folders. Below are extensive instructions on how to do this. We will assume you have already extracted the contents of the archive to your computer, which means the files are already available and the folder structure is as it should be. We will also assume you know how to use an FTP program to connect to your server. The tasks below should be executable with any FTP program.

Open your FTP program and connect to your server.

Navigate with your FTP program to the folder on your server in which you installed MyBB.

Navigate to the folder on your server called inc and to the folder called languages, which will be located in the folder called inc.

Copy the file espanol.php from your computer to this folder on the server. It should then be present in the folder languages.

After that copy the folder called espanol from your computer to this folder on the server. This folder and its contents should then be present in the folder languages.

Navigate with your FTP program to the folder on your server in which you installed MyBB.

Navigate with your FTP program to the subfolder called images on your server.

After that navigate to the subfolder called images on your computer. You will see a folder called espanol in this folder.

Copy this folder called espanol (which is located in the subfolder images) from your computer to the folder images on the server. The files closed.gif, newreply.gif, newthread.gif, postbit_delete.gif, postbit_edit.gif, postbit_email.gif, postbit_find.gif, postbit_pm.gif, postbit_profile.gif, postbit_quote.gif, postbit_report.gif en postbit_www.gif will be located in this folder called espanol.

After that navigate with your FTP program on the server to the subfolder images again, and after that to the subfolder groupimages.

Navigate to the subfolder called images and the subfolder called groupimages (which is located in the subfolder images). You will see a subfolder called espanol.

Copy this folder called espanol (which is located in the subfolder groupimages) from your computer to the folder groupimages on the server. The files team-administrator.gif, team-designer.gif, team-developer.gif, team-management.gif, team-mod.gif, team-supermod.gif, team-support.gif en team-tester.gif will be located in this folder called spanish.

Navigate with your FTP program to the subfolder called install on your server.

Copy the file index.php from your computer to this folder on the server.

Navigate with your FTP program to the subfolder called resources in the folder install on your server.

Copy the files language.lang.php, mybb_theme.xml, mysql_db_inserts.php, output.php, settings.xml, tasks.xml and usergroups.xml will be located in this folder called resources.

You have now uploaded all necessary files to the server. Read the following paragraphs for more information on how to enable the spanish language on your board.

3. USAGE

After uploading the required files you can use the spanish translation for your copy of MyBB. We will here after discuss how to use the spanish translation for the front end of the board, how to use the spanish translation for the admin area of the board and how to set the spanish translation as the default language for your board. The default language will be used by guests and users who haven't set a language preference.

To use the spanish language for the front end of the board, a user should go to the User CP and click Edit Options. Then he can select Español (Internacional) as "Board Language" below "Other options".

To use the spanish language for the admin part of the board, an administrator should go to the Admin CP and click Change below "Board Settings". At the bottom of the list he will see "Control Panel Preferences (Global)". Click the button Go next to it. Then select Español (Internacional) below "Control Panel Language" and click "Submit Changes" to submit your changes.

To set the spanish language as the default language for your board, you should to the "Board Settings" (Ajustes del Foro). The second category in the list will be "General Configuration" (Parámetros Generales). Click the button Go next to it. Then select Español (Internacional) below "Default Language" and click "Save Settings" (Guardar Ajustes) to submit your changes.

4. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

MyBB is a relatively young software package. Support for multiple languages has only recently been introduced, which means you might spot a few errors in the translation. We encourage you to report these errors at http://community.mybboard.net/. Your comments are a valuable source of information and we will use your comments to improve future translations!

We hope you will enjoy using MyBB,

Antonio Pequeño y Omar Santos
Spanish Translators
You just make a new folder in ./inc/languages/, call it the name of the language, put the files there, and then the other file it has in ./inc/languages/, the ./install/ folder has absolutely no purpose in language packs....
Thank you again for the very quick reply.

I think perhaps then I was expecting the language packs to be able to do more than I realized. For example when I added the Spanish language pack and activated the forum language selection button in the forum admin server configuration settings, I was expecting the entire forum to be translated into Spanish.

I was expecting my English forum Titles/names to now have Spanish text, but these have remained in American English, while the forum stats are in Spanish.

Is this correct?

Shouldn't the entire forum now be in Spanish, or any other language I install if that is selected with the Language option?

Sorry for being a dunce about this!

coolcos
No, you're misunderstanding how it works. All the MyBB text is loaded with language files, not the stuff you type yourself. How could it translate everything you type...?? Language packs are a list of language variables that translate all of the MyBB text etc. Text you type shows as you enter it regardless of any language packs.
Thank you for clearing that up, apparently it is working as it was designed to do, however I was hoping the language pack would do more than it does, no worries.

Thank you for your concise and quick help!

coolcos