MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Migrating from Invision?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am a webmaster at www.scito.nl, and we're completely re-designing the whole thing.
The other webmaster is very fond of invision, and he even wants to spend 200$ on a lifetime license :|
I don't think that it's worth it, So I'm looking around a bit for other forums.
According to him, phpbb is crappy with multi-page threads, and mybboard just puts an extremely high load on your server. That last thing I just can't believe, if mybboard can handle a giant forum like Msgplus forums, then it surely can handle our users.
Also he says he knows invision from inside out, and thinks getting that knowledge for other forums will take lots of time.

What I want to know is basicly some statistics, like server loads for different forums,
and some user opinions on how easy it is to add your own stuff to mybboard (like a completely new profile page), and how easy it is to merge the old data from invision to mybboard...

Everything is appreciated Smile
I'm just about to put mybboard on a little extra account and screw around with it a little Wink
MyBB is fully customizable via the Template System in the Admin CP.

Every template, including the Profile page, is inside this system.

I do not know the server loads for different forums, Chris Boulton, however, can tell you how well MyBB runs on Msg Plus.

We currently do not have any Converters from other message boards, they are, however, planned for the future, so if you'd like to merge, you can ask someone to do it for you (it may require paying them), or you can do it yourself.
I explained it a bit on MSN last night, TB.

The Messenger Plus! forums are currently on a server which shouldn't have to deal with the amount of users that visit the forums daily, which is why you will sometimes see the server load error message there. For a discussion system with over 30,000 users then you would be looking at specs a little bit better than a 1.2ghz Celeron Wink Although it will be able to handle it, when you have version releases (for example here) of software like Messenger Plus!, and I mean big versions like 3.0.0 was, then with the amount of users online the server will start to slow down.

I provided you with a few statistics on MSN Messenger, to show the difference in load times on my old development server.

You explained you would need to do alot of work to intergrate your layout in to MyBB, maybe for your site you would have to do a bit of work but the rest of the forums are just based around the MyBB Theme system, in which you just specify colours, fonts, and font sizes - easy as pie!

I also let it leak to you about a new converter API to be released (:-x) within the next 3-4 weeks allowing the easy construction of a converter to convert your discussion system to MyBB.

Intergrating MyBB with your site can be easily done.

If you want full intergration (such as sharing a common header/footer/css/database connection), then it is pretty much as easy as including "global.php" in your page which will do everything like check for a logged in user, check if the user is banned, get the header templates etc. You can then use the template functions and template system in MyBB (even the theme system) to power your whole site quickly.

If you don't want to go that way then its as easy as setting up a database connection yourself, and querying the database tables for the information you need.

Take a look at portal.php for a *slight* bit of information on how to intergrate a product in to MyBB..

Chris.